Homemade Shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think people did use soap on their hair but they washed far less frequently than we do now- maybe once a month. They used other forms of hygiene (preening, brushing) to distribute excess oil. They also used wigs and kept their hair braided.

Actual shampoo was invented around the 30's as far as surfactant. Before that soap based was used on the hair. My mom was working in a salon during WW2 and she alway said hair was not in good condition due to the unavailability of shampoo. In the shop she worked in at the time the owner had them dilute the shampoo really thin, and many folks had to go back to using soap on their hair and some shops had to use soap.

Well, they didn't wash it as often, for one thing. As a child I read a book about a girl's experience crossing the wilds of our early country in a wagon train. She mentioned that they washed their hair monthly. I don't recall any mention of what they used for hair washing, however, so I assume it was the same soap they used for washing the body, which was also done as infrequently.

Later I found recommendations published in a US newspaper circa 1902 or 1904 (there-abouts) that suggested women use Castille soap (flaked & mixed with water to produce a kind of paste) about every 2-4 weeks, if I recall. So it seems the norm in the US was to use a plain mild soap for washing the hair. I do believe the newspaper article talked about rinsing well, maybe 2-3 rinses, something like that.

Maybe a hairdresser would have more knowledge about the history of hair washing.

And I am sure it may vary depending on continent and what was available.

I would like to try this... but a kit is over $33 US and the shipping is about $40 US. That means 3 bars of shampoo cost about $100 Canadian. ( It would be even more costly to buy individual supplies and then not end up using them if you didn't like the bars or whatever!)

What I recommend is taking a look at the ingredients individually, and then seeing what you can find. For example, I get my SLSa off Amazon, not from WSP

Well, they didn't wash it as often, for one thing. As a child I read a book about a girl's experience crossing the wilds of our early country in a wagon train. She mentioned that they washed their hair monthly. I don't recall any mention of what they used for hair washing, however, so I assume it was the same soap they used for washing the body, which was also done as infrequently.

Later I found recommendations published in a US newspaper circa 1902 or 1904 (there-abouts) that suggested women use Castille soap (flaked & mixed with water to produce a kind of paste) about every 2-4 weeks, if I recall. So it seems the norm in the US was to use a plain mild soap for washing the hair. I do believe the newspaper article talked about rinsing well, maybe 2-3 rinses, something like that.

Maybe a hairdresser would have more knowledge about the history of hair washing.

And I am sure it may vary depending on continent and what was available.

I used to work in the industry. We had elderly women coming in once a week for their hair to be washed, roller set, and brushed out.

Washing hair daily seems to be more recent in the US (I can't speak to other countries)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to work in the industry. We had elderly women coming in once a week for their hair to be washed, roller set, and brushed out.

Washing hair daily seems to be more recent in the US (I can't speak to other countries)
I would never wash my hair every day (or every second day as I do) before moving to the US. In most places in Europe it is still not the standard; I would wash it once a week and it was perfectly clean and fine :)

Nowadays, I can get away without washing/conditioning my hair for about 4 days, maximum, before I really, really need to wash/condition it, because it starts smelling stale and looking oily/stringy/blech.

In my mid teens and up to my early 30's I needed to wash it every day or it was an oily mess. And from there up to about just a few years ago, I could get away with an every other day wash & condition.

Before puberty kicked in, once a week was the norm.

That's what I remember both of my grandma's doing- a once a week wash, roller set and brush out. And their hair stayed pretty decent looking for them all week long.

IrishLass :)

I'm a twice a week hair-washer - usually Tuesday and Saturday - unless I get sweaty and grimy. If you call hair washing day "day 0" I'm usually on borrowed time by day 2. I can get away with it if I put it up and maybe use a little dry shampoo. Day 3 is when it starts looking pretty greasy. I suppose I COULD leave it longer, but I can't stand the feeling. Even dry shampoo doesn't make me feel better.

I use Function of Beauty shampoo and conditioner, and I'll tell you, I really think it's worth it. I don't use very much as their shampoo is extremely bubbly, and a 16oz shampoo with an 8oz conditioner lasts me about a year. I also tried a syndet bar which was plenty acceptable. The conditioner bar I have to go with that is INCREDIBLE. I just adore it. I even use it on my face/body as a light moisturizer. Highly recommend trying out a homemade conditioner bar - I think WSP sells kits or you could probably buy stuff just as cheap at LotionCrafter or something. I'm much too afraid to use soap on my hair ever!!

I'm a twice a week hair-washer - usually Tuesday and Saturday - unless I get sweaty and grimy. If you call hair washing day "day 0" I'm usually on borrowed time by day 2. I can get away with it if I put it up and maybe use a little dry shampoo. Day 3 is when it starts looking pretty greasy. I suppose I COULD leave it longer, but I can't stand the feeling. Even dry shampoo doesn't make me feel better.

I use Function of Beauty shampoo and conditioner, and I'll tell you, I really think it's worth it. I don't use very much as their shampoo is extremely bubbly, and a 16oz shampoo with an 8oz conditioner lasts me about a year. I also tried a syndet bar which was plenty acceptable. The conditioner bar I have to go with that is INCREDIBLE. I just adore it. I even use it on my face/body as a light moisturizer. Highly recommend trying out a homemade conditioner bar - I think WSP sells kits or you could probably buy stuff just as cheap at LotionCrafter or something. I'm much too afraid to use soap on my hair ever!!

Steffamarie may I ask where you bought the syndet bar and the conditioner? I really prefer to try before I buy if at all possible.

OK I used my soap for my hair today :p It is a newer recipe and not as much palm or pko as before so not as 'thick' a residue.

I have a sinus infection so I was afraid to bend over to get the shampoo .

The 'film' on hair after using shampoo bars is from stearic and palmitic acids from the lye discount. The way to make a shampoo bar with soap is to make the bar super hard so it does not gum up in the hair and also make sure all the stearic acid is saponified.

I avoid detergents at all costs since I have very bad reactions to pretty much all of them. They give me dermatitis and bad dandruff.

A few years ago, I went no 'poo for about 4 months. I intended to use baking soda and ACV rinse but never got around to it so I just rinsed my hair with water and occasionally conditioned and brushed it and that was it. It never looked bad or smelled bad (I asked around ) ; it was a bit heavier than normal but held a style well. YMMV, but in terms of ease, it was great!

The 'film' on hair after using shampoo bars is from stearic and palmitic acids from the lye discount. The way to make a shampoo bar with soap is to make the bar super hard so it does not gum up in the hair and also make sure all the stearic acid is saponified.

I avoid detergents at all costs since I have very bad reactions to pretty much all of them. They give me dermatitis and bad dandruff.
So, this probably sounds dumb but how do I make sure all the stearic acid is saponified?

Latest posts

Back