Homemade Shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am looking for feedback on homemade shampoo. My hairdresser is not a fan as she has styled hair for women who have made their own. She tells me that their hair feels “coated” and not easy to work with.

Any comments? Thanks

@Gaisy59 - are you talking about liquid, solid syndets or cold process soap being used as shampoo? I would highly recommend checking out swiftcraftymonkey. You will need to pay a small amount to access the site but it's so worth it for the information on formulating there.

@Gaisy59 - are you talking about liquid, solid syndets or cold process soap being used as shampoo? I would highly recommend checking out swiftcraftymonkey. You will need to pay a small amount to access the site but it's so worth it for the information on formulating there.
Not sure what these women are using i just know my hairdresser doesnt like the results. Have you tried it yourself?

If you are talking about using "soap" as shampoo I understand your hairdresser. It is also bad for hair and what most soapmakers, especially new soapmakers, seem to make as shampoo bars. If you are talking about a synthetic bar made with mild detergents refrain from using butters in it, since butters can leave a coating on the hair.

My hairdresser (who has done my hair for 24 years) has told me for YEARS that I have a film on my hair. This is due to trying various "natural" shampoos - including Monat, hair soap, baking soda with vinegar rinse, etc. I started using a syndet shampoo bar that I made in September. When I got my hair cut in March my hairdresser said "Oh thank god, you went back to being a normal person and using real shampoo." I told her it was my "homemade" shampoo bars, she was shocked. So results totally vary depending on what is used. I'm a fan of the syndet bars personally.

I tried bar soap and it ruined my hair. I've also tried syndet in the past and it was okay. I have stuff to try to make my own syndet but haven't had time. Haven't made liquid.

If you are talking about using "soap" as shampoo I understand your hairdresser. It is also bad for hair and what most soapmakers, especially new soapmakers, seem to make as shampoo bars. If you are talking about a synthetic bar made with mild detergents refrain from using butters in it, since butters can leave a coating on the hair.
Ahhhh and most diy sellers probably go in the “soap” and butter direction.

My hairdresser (who has done my hair for 24 years) has told me for YEARS that I have a film on my hair. This is due to trying various "natural" shampoos - including Monat, hair soap, baking soda with vinegar rinse, etc. I started using a syndet shampoo bar that I made in September. When I got my hair cut in March my hairdresser said "Oh thank god, you went back to being a normal person and using real shampoo." I told her it was my "homemade" shampoo bars, she was shocked. So results totally vary depending on what is used. I'm a fan of the syndet bars personally.
Well now this is interesting. Shunt2011 mentioned syndat as well.

I just did a quick review of syndet diy shampoo...seems like a lot of trouble to make something relatively close to what you can buy in a store. IMHO i think i will continue to use store products. I have found some brands that are without sulfites so it is a srep up i guess.

Thanks for helping me be a little more informed guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhh and most diy sellers probably go in the “soap” and butter direction.

Well now this is interesting. Shunt2011 mentioned syndat as well.

I just did a quick review of syndet diy shampoo...seems like a lot of trouble to make something relatively close to what you can buy in a store. IMHO i think i will continue to use store products. I have found some brands that are without sulfites so it is a srep up i guess.

Thanks for helping me be a little more informed guys.
It might seem like a lot of trouble, but the result can be actually super nice, plus most of the ingredients you can also use for other things. Making a bottle of nice shampoo takes about as much time as cooking a nice dinner -- and it definitely lasts longer! I have been using my diy syndet (liquid) cleansing conditioner for a while, and I love it. Probably not everyone likes this kind of thing, but it is really fun to experiment with all the various ingredients you can add / adjust. Not to mention the scent combinations you can come up with :)

It might seem like a lot of trouble, but the result can be actually super nice, plus most of the ingredients you can also use for other things. Making a bottle of shampoo takes about as much time as cooking a dinner -- and it definitely lasts longer! I have been using my diy syndet (liquid) cleansing conditioner for a while, and I love it. Probably not everyone likes this kind of thing, but it is really fun to experiment with all the various ingredients you can add / adjust. Not to mention the scent combinations you can come up with :)

ETA: my hairdresser has never complained, and if anything, my hair feels softer and cleaner since I have been using my own.

...seems like a lot of trouble to make something relatively close to what you can buy in a store....

I see your point, but my perspective is a little different. My scalp gets itchy and irritated from some detergents, so I've learned to read ingredients lists carefully to find products with detergents that work for me. And then there's the problem of taking the product home and seeing if it works well on my hair. The guessing game gets tiresome.

When I make my own syndet shampoo, I know exactly what I'm getting. I probably spend less time and save more money by making my own 'poo that I know I'll use than by reading ingredients lists and buying product that I may or may not like.

seems like a lot of trouble to make something relatively close to what you can buy in a store.
I agree with DeeAnna, in the long run I know what I'm using and I've saved money not having to try (and hate) purchased shampoos. I can make six bars of syndet (each bar lasts about a month) in about 25 minutes. So there ya go, in less than an hour I have an entire year's worth of shampoo and don't even have to put on pants to leave the house.

Bwahahaha. because I just wanted to see what you were talking about

... back to your regularly viewing show.

btw, I have a Pixie cut so yes if you use regular handmade soap it leaves a film..... as in I don't need any product if I wanted to tease my hair up straight (I have uber straight hair).

I too just use cheap store bought shampoo. Mainly because it is easier to use and with my hair cut it would take me a year to use up a 1 oz shampoo bar

Okay, since I cut all my long tresses off and my scalp is itching horrendously, too, I am now also interested in a syndet shampoo bar! I never thought I would be! You all got me thinking about it now with hope.

Back