Homemade playdoh

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitewitchbeauty

Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to make a batch of Plato for the kids at school where I work. So I made a big batch and they love it. I scented it it with a Christmas tree fragrance oil and it smells amazing! Here is my recipe :)
Playdoh
3 cups flour
3 cups water
3 tbs olive or other liquid vegetable oil
3 tbs baking powder
1 1/2 cups sea salt
4 tbs fragrance or essential oil (vanilla works too) use as little or as much as you prefer
Food coloring

1. Put aside your fragrance and food coloring til playdoh cools a bit
2. Mix dry ingredients
3. Add liquids and warm over a low heat on your stove. Mix and dont stop until it looks like mashed potatoes.
4. Turn heat off. Take out the blob. Add fragrance and knead it in well.
5. Seperate your mass and roll into balls.
6. Add food coloring to your playdoh.
7. Done!
Not ok to eat.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1448990869.502509.jpg
Oops, forgot to put a picture on my original post

I think that's a fun idea, but I don't think it's a good idea to use fragrance. There is a reason that Play-Doh (meaning the stuff you buy at the store) is technically edible. Maybe if you used lemongrass EO or mint EO - something edible. Or maybe lipbalm flavor.

I use to make that when our kids were young. Will likely make it again once the grands are older. I would use lip balm flavor oils. Then no issues should they decide to eat a bit.

Those colors are richer than real Play Doh colors!!

A cautionary note whitewitchbeauty: many vanilla extracts have corn syrup or another type of sugar in them and keeping the play doh long term could mean mold and bacteria will affect it.

Those colors are richer than real Play Doh colors!!

A cautionary note whitewitchbeauty: many vanilla extracts have corn syrup or another type of sugar in them and keeping the play doh long term could mean mold and bacteria will affect it.

IME, home-made play-dough is not good for more than a few sessions. It gets dry, hard and crumbly. It doesn't contain the plasticizers or whatever that make store-bought Play-Doh last for years.

I think that's a fun idea, but I don't think it's a good idea to use fragrance. There is a reason that Play-Doh (meaning the stuff you buy at the store) is technically edible. Maybe if you used lemongrass EO or mint EO - something edible. Or maybe lipbalm flavor.

I wouldn't add any additives beyond color if a young child is going to play with this. I don't think really young children should be exposed to essential oils beyond lavender and maybe tea tree and rosemary. Children up to the age of 6 may still put these in their mouths and while food coloring isn't the safest of things to use [technically], it is a great deal safer than essential oils and fragrance oils.

Other than that, this is nostalgic for me. I used to play with homemade playdoh when we made it school.

Some people call cornstarch + water "Gak" other people call the glue + borax "gak"

Cornstarch + Water gives the "non-newtonian fluid" that is like a liquid when you touch it slowly but acts solid if you hit it fast. Its really neat fun stuff!

Pretty sure its a 2:1 ratio of cornstarch to water.

Glue + Borax gives a putty/goop like substance. Its like the goo you can get in containers that is transparent. Use white glue to make opaque goo, clear to make clear goo. Some people use "sta flo" brand starch (comes in a blue bottle) to make it instead of borax but, thats got borax in it and thats why it will also work... So if you make it just use borax.

Watch out for gak on your carpet. Even the pro's couldn't get it out of mine. My mom used to make a no cook play dough with baby oil. It stayed really soft and lasted as long as we were interested in it. (Side note: I have never heard of kids eating playdoh. Even my mom was stumped. Glue on the other hand...)

Latest posts

Back