Homemade Multi-bar Soap Cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hubby made one for me when I first started and I am still using it. It is not pretty but it works and I am still using it. He made mine out of metal with enough wires to fit my mold so I get 14 1.25" bars and two end slices for samples.
Do you know what kind of wire you used for this and what gauge or diameter? I'd like to make a cutter but the one I made before the wire ended up breaking too easily. I've been told that piano wire is supposed to be pretty good, but I'm not sure if there is something that would be better.

Until now, I've been using a mitre box and a giant knife as well. However, I bought a wire rack from the dollar store with wires about an inch apart. I use that to make the lines (little indents on both sides on top of the soap), then use the mitre box and knife to do the actual cut. That way each cut is the same size.

With the cheese slicer, I'm going to use square dowels on the top and side to prevent sliding and make it easy to get the soap in the right place for slicing. :) That's the plan anyway. lol
Genius to make marks like that!😲

Do you know what kind of wire you used for this and what gauge or diameter? I'd like to make a cutter but the one I made before the wire ended up breaking too easily. I've been told that piano wire is supposed to be pretty good, but I'm not sure if there is something that would be better.
In Mischief's post #8 the picture says solid guitar wire size 0.20 if that helps.

Attachments

• 20200920_181933.jpg
    20200920_181933.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 11
I use 8g ( that's probably 'AWG' and it is 0.02" or 0.508mm) on my cutters.
It's high-tensile music wire (spring tempered wire) and this size seems to be a good compromise between strength (doesn't keep breaking) and smooth cutting.
Smaller diameter would probably give a smoother looking cut, but wouldn't last as long since it's under pre-tension in the frame, and even more tension when cutting.

Edit: Instead of using guitar wire, you can get a box of it in one long
length from 'Precision Brand Products, Inc'
Just be aware that cutting it with ordinary pliers may put 'nicks' in the blades! Get a pair of hard-wire cutters instead.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back