Homemade Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayWolf

Reaction score
Hi !
I was trying to get into candlemaking a while back. Got sidetracked by life. It happens. Anyway trying to get back to it. I am interested in making quality candles. Can afford to by small molds for small candles. Have also seen ways to make candles out of everyday household materials. I have a small 6" mold for tapers will get a large one for the 12 inch later. How about straight molds for 12" candles. I was looking a book recently and saw some 2 foot straight molded candles. They never said what type of mold they used. Homemade or factory made mold. If I could make myself a homemade mold for 12 " and it be quality ! That would be nice ! Also interested in ideas for 6" piller mold. Could buy though. Thank you for any Help !!

Hi!

PVC Pipe comes in various widths and you can cut the length to your specifications. I've used them as pillar molds and they work well. I think a taper size might be problematic because they are hard to get out. You may ruin the candle in the process. But worth a try! Just spray with some sort of mold release first.

Marr said:
Hi!

PVC Pipe comes in various widths and you can cut the length to your specifications. I've used them as pillar molds and they work well. I think a taper size might be problematic because they are hard to get out. You may ruin the candle in the process. But worth a try! Just spray with some sort of mold release first.

That's a great tip, never thought of that. Thanks!

Never thought of using PVC pipe for molds. I've been thinking of making some of my own embed molds but the material used to make them is a bit expensive to play around with.

Have thought about this for a bit and wondered. What would be the propper way to seal off the bottom in a PVC Mold ? Mold sealer, modeling clay or anyone have better suggestion . Seems mold sealer would do,but that would depend on the width of the candle.

You can get end caps for PVC pipe. Have a look in the store where you bought the pipe, they are generally in the same area as the PVC connectors & fittings. Just make sure you put a piece of sticky tape or something over them to hold them to the pipe, otherwise, when you go to move your freshly poured candle (or soap, in my case) and the end comes loose from the weight in the pipe, you can have one heck of a mess :oops:

Back