Homemade leather conditioner

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I fell into the rabbit hole with cleaning my leather sofa the other night. It started out with just regular surface cleaning, then i pulled up all the cushions and had more dog hair than I anticipated, so started vaccuuming that. Couldnt get all the stuck hairs up, so i filled a bucket with water and fabric softener and brushed (that worked wonders btw).

Before i put everything back together, i was thinking that i needed to polish it up a bit, but didnt have any polish on hand. Looked up a recipe for leather conditioner and found this recipe:

1:1:2 beeswax, cocoa butter, sw almond oil. Of course I have all those ingredients lol. Melted down in a double boiler, put into a 1cup crock and refrigerated till solid.

Put some on my lips lol.

The sofa looks almost brand new now. It was in pretty good shape to begin with, although it is somewhat old. I have had it for three years, and got it from a friend second hand that had it for many years before that. I guess between the two of us, we took pretty good care of it.

I am thrilled with the results, so I thought I’d share. And I only had non-deodorized cocoa butter, so it smells good to boot.

Back