homemade dryer sheets for lye static?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reflection

Reaction score
i read about the lye static cling and how you can use dryer sheets to help prevent this. i wondered if anyone has tried making their own dryer sheets as they are kind of expensive to buy if you don't normally use them. here's a recipe i came across and here's one for the fabric softener to be used in a recipe. i'm thinking you could just use the white vinegar and/or the baking soda for the fabric softener part as i wouldn't want any fragrance and i don't buy fabric softener. anyone tried making their own dryer sheets with something like vinegar and/or baking soda? does it work to reduce the static?

I made some wool dryer balls for my laundry, so I don't use dryer sheets. But I do use them to wipe out the container I weigh my lye in. I bought a box of 240 store brand, unscented, for under $6. I can use each dryer sheet multiple times. Even if I used the dryer sheet only once that works out to .02 each. If I use each sheet 3 times, it's .008 each. I keep the box in my bin where I store my smaller bottles of oils and soaping items. I like the convenience of that, and if I made a batch of soap every day (which I don't) the cost would be $2.92 for a year.

If you decide to try it, post your results. I think some people might be interested. I wonder how long you could use a cloth for static control before it would have to be resaturated.

I cut up an old pillow case into squares, put squares in a mason jar, and filled it with vinegar. Enough to cover squares. I toss a couple in the dryer each load. Square goes back in jar and I add a splash of vinegar as needed. For my towels, I just add the vinegar into the softener dispenser compartment.
I've never tried adding baking soda and the crystals to the vinegar.

If you decide to try it, post your results. I think some people might be interested. I wonder how long you could use a cloth for static control before it would have to be resaturated.
i will. :) i'll probably just use a thick paper towel since i'll only need one. the greener dryer sheets at my cheapo grocery store were $9. :shock: i did see some others today that were free of perfumes & dyes and were cheaper but not really sure what they use to make them so i'm gonna go with the vinegar.

I cut up an old pillow case into squares, put squares in a mason jar, and filled it with vinegar. Enough to cover squares. I toss a couple in the dryer each load. Square goes back in jar and I add a splash of vinegar as needed. For my towels, I just add the vinegar into the softener dispenser compartment.
I've never tried adding baking soda and the crystals to the vinegar.
cool. :) i actually was looking up the ingredients in fabric softener and scientific american says the vinegar is what works for the static cling. i don't know what is in those crystals but i'm thinking what you are doing sounds great. i do use vinegar with my laundry soap to get rid of hard water residue and it seems to work well.

Latest posts

Back