Homemade Dividers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After creating a total mess with some cardboard dividers, I came up with another idea that works pretty well. I went to our local hardware store where they sell and cut sheets of acrylic. I was very lucky to get help from a worker there who was also into crafting. I showed her a drawing of what I wanted, and she helped me by cutting all the pieces I need.

The photos are little hard to see, but we made 2 dividers the length of my mold, and 2 sets of end pieces -- 1 set with one slot, 1 set with 2 slots, for dividing the mold into either two or three sections. We created the slots by cutting and gluing small pieces to the bigger end pieces. We used scrap acrylic, and the whole project cost me less than 3 bucks!

PXL_20210218_044548996.jpgPXL_20210218_045000468.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210218_044748553.jpg
    PXL_20210218_044748553.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 27
After creating a total mess with some cardboard dividers, I came up with another idea that works pretty well. I went to our local hardware store where they sell and cut sheets of acrylic. I was very lucky to get help from a worker there who was also into crafting. I showed her a drawing of what I wanted, and she helped me by cutting all the pieces I need.

The photos are little hard to see, but we made 2 dividers the length of my mold, and 2 sets of end pieces -- 1 set with one slot, 1 set with 2 slots, for dividing the mold into either two or three sections. We created the slots by cutting and gluing small pieces to the bigger end pieces. We used scrap acrylic, and the whole project cost me less than 3 bucks!

View attachment 54140View attachment 54143
[email protected]
First time ever making a comment and just joined a week ag,from New Zealand hello soap world. We often particulary when new to soaping or could apply to anything buy something because we somebody using it and it looks like it could help,i'd often think i could make something but went for the "got to have that" but now because we are cleaver thinkers,i make myself,so good on you.I am surprised at what i have made and saving big time. Even the coat hanger for twirling in the mold and saving 20.00 US because i couldnt get one here,the only cost was buying a metre or so of very thin hollow tubing to put on the coat hanger,do this before you bend into the shape. Love Andrea

Last edited:
[email protected]
First time ever making a comment and just joined a week ag,from New Zealand hello soap world. We often particulary when new to soaping or could apply to anything buy something because we somebody using it and it looks like it could help,i'd often think i could make something but went for the "got to have that" but now because we are cleaver thinkers,i make myself,so good on you.I am surprised at what i have made and saving big time. Even the coat hanger for twirling in the mold and saving 20.00 US because i couldnt get one here,the only cost was buying a metre or so of very thin hollow tubing to put on the coat hanger,do this before you bend into the shape. Love Andrea
Good for you, Andrea, and welcome to the forum. (You might post on the Beginners Forum and introduce yourself to everyone.) I'm a do-it-yourselfer for lots of things myself, including my own hanger swirler. I'm continually amazed at the clever tools other soapers come up with to create something special. Keep on soapin'!

Last edited:
I went to our local hardware store where they sell and cut sheets of acrylic. I was very lucky to get help from a worker there who was also into crafting
I don't have a friendly local hardware store like that....:(:confused: Last time I went into my local hardware store to pick up some lye last minute, the older, more knowledgeable employee told me I was going to lose an eye messing with stuff I don't know anything about! I brought his grumpy but some soap the next time I came in. lol

Good for you, Andrea, and welcome to the forum. (You might post on the Beginners Forum and introduce yourself to everyone.) I'm a do-it-yourselfer for lots of things myself, including my own herger swirler. I'm continually amazed at the clever tools other soapers come up with to create something special. Keep on soapin'!
Thank you so much for your welcoming message. Will try and find the forum for beginners although i have been making soap for just over a year and have entered without success but good knowledge and ideas Amy Wardens Soap Challenge. Will join definately for life membership when the exchange rate is better. Warmest Regards Andrea

"I brought his grumpy but some soap the next time I came in. lol"
@violets2217 Did he at least smile and say thank you when you gave him the soap?
Not really... and I think he was kind of afraid to touch it! His grandmother must have made the family some really lye heavy soap back in the day as a child or something!

@Dawni I don't have a "friendly local hardware store" but I was lucky to find a friendly clerk in my local hardware store who is also a crafter. She was intrigued by my project and totally got into it. If her boss at that not-so-friendly local hardware store had any idea how much time she put into my little project, he probably would not have been very pleased. I'm so grateful she was happy to work with me for soap and cookies!

Back