homemade distilled water not worth it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyne Thrasher

Reaction score
I have a juice steamer that can be used to make distilled water. It's a really cook gadget that I use to make Concord grape juice. Anyway, after 2 hours I have concluded that it probably is costing me too much in electricity to be worth it. I might have gotten a liter in 2 hours. So once I've used that I guess I'll get a gallon of aloe vera juice from Trader Joe's to replace my water until distilled water is available in the stores again. Since I use a 2:1 liquid:lye ratio with 1 part of my liquid being coconut milk it's not too bad but it is quite a bit more expensive than distilled.

I have a juice steamer that can be used to make distilled water. It's a really cook gadget that I use to make Concord grape juice. Anyway, after 2 hours I have concluded that it probably is costing me too much in electricity to be worth it. I might have gotten a liter in 2 hours. So once I've used that I guess I'll get a gallon of aloe vera juice from Trader Joe's to replace my water until distilled water is available in the stores again. Since I use a 2:1 liquid:lye ratio with 1 part of my liquid being coconut milk it's not too bad but it is quite a bit more expensive than distilled.

This is what I buy at Walmart. It has been in stock. It’s in the baby section. Only $1a gallon.
Parent's Choice Distilled Water, 1 gal - Walmart.com

I have been looking for distilled water, too, as I am running low. Because of my 98 year old father, I have steered clear of stores and only done pickup for groceries. Finally, the grocery store is showing distilled water again, so I put it on my list. Fingers crossed that there will still be some available when they pack my order.
Besides, toilet paper and paper towels, I've also had trouble getting yeast. Who knew that this would be a hot item?
So I guess I'm just commiserating with you. Good idea about using the aloe. Best wishes on finding distilled water.
This too shall pass.
Be safe.

I just ordered aloe juice from Walmart online. It’s $6 something a gallon. If you order over $35 shipping is free. It came in just a few days. It’s a good deal.

I can’t find distilled water anywhere either. My last two jugs will be gone soon.

I'm surprised that distilled water seems to be consumed so readily in the US. In NZ it's not recommended for drinking, as it lacks the essential nutrients found in spring or mineral water. In fact, only one of the supermarket chains here actually sells it in the water aisle - next to all the various barons of 'natural' waters.
Must be a bummer for those in the US actually wanting to buy it for soap!

I'm new to soap making and couldn't find any so first made my own distilled water which took forever so only did it twice. Then I read somewhere that you can used filtered water, so I bought a Brita Water filter and filter boiled water and the colours have always looked good.

I'm new to soap making and couldn't find any so first made my own distilled water which took forever so only did it twice. Then I read somewhere that you can used filtered water, so I bought a Brita Water filter and filter boiled water and the colours have always looked good.
Hi Star child - you shouldn't really use filtered water either. You can get the water you need from tesco: Tesco De-Ionised Water 2.5L - Tesco Groceries

I bought my water distiller from Amazon.com. I have used it for years without a problem.

SmarketBuy 1.05 Gallon Water Distiller Home Countertop Water Distillation Purifier All Stainless Steel Internal Water Distillation Kit 110V

I have been looking for distilled water, too, as I am running low. Because of my 98 year old father, I have steered clear of stores and only done pickup for groceries. Finally, the grocery store is showing distilled water again, so I put it on my list. Fingers crossed that there will still be some available when they pack my order.
Besides, toilet paper and paper towels, I've also had trouble getting yeast. Who knew that this would be a hot item?
So I guess I'm just commiserating with you. Good idea about using the aloe. Best wishes on finding distilled water.
This too shall pass.
Be safe.
Good time to start making sourdough bread. ;)

I'm surprised that distilled water seems to be consumed so readily in the US.

You might be surprised what you will drink when there isn't an alternative...like drinking Coke. ;) Seriously though, I don't think a lot of folks understand the difference between distilled water, purified water and drinking water when it's sold by the gallon and they are panic buying.

You might be surprised what you will drink when there isn't an alternative...like drinking Coke. ;) Seriously though, I don't think a lot of folks understand the difference between distilled water, purified water and drinking water when it's sold by the gallon and they are panic buying.
You just hit the nail on the head.

Distilled vinegar works for soap when used correctly and is fairly cheap. Off-brand flat soda pop, fruit juices, beer, and the list goes on.

This is why I'm glad when we bought our house we installed an industrial sized reverse osmosis water softener. I've never had to worry about buying distilled water or distilling my own. Just use the water straight out of the tap. I've never had a problem with soaping with this water and don't have to worry about now not finding it.

Not sure how to help with your problem though, unfortunately. Like others suggested, maybe try searching online?

Have a look in the petrol station shop. Asda or Sainsbury's might also have it - they call it de-ionised and not distilled.
Thanks for the tip, I was going to go to a car parts place then realised there is a Halfords walking distance from me and it's £3.90 For 5 litres.

Latest posts

Back