Homebrew M&P with Rose Gold Mica

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm no M&P artist. I've mainly been interested in learning how to make my own M&P base because I'm a geek. But I saw this beautiful mica at Bramble Berry and thought it was high time to make something shimmery.

This is fragranced with tangerine essential oil. Yum. So far I'm having good luck with citrus EO in transparent soap. It smells like it's supposed to, but I don't know yet how long it lasts.

MP%20Rose%20Gold.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have any link on your source of knowledge or any experiment of yours in creating the MP base?

It's a really interesting result that you gained with mica.

Yes, this thread and these other two...

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=59473
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=58737

are based on the book about making MP soap base by Kayla Fioravanti. I'm exploring transparent soap via her MP info and Failor's non-meltable, non-detergent info, and then branching out into some other ideas.

topofmurrayhill,
Love that color soap. The good news about adding EO's to M&P is that the aroma will last for quite a long time. I've used may chang [litsea cubeba] as an anchor for citrus EO's and that helps even more.

I just saw this post and I'm very interested in making MP, it is where I started and I love the flexibility of it. Have you melted it as embeds yet?

And your soap is beautiful.

Last edited:
LisaAnne, I will mention it will cost you a lot more to make even when purchasing the most expensive base on the market. I have always thought the stigma with m&p is the name Melt & Pour. There are some good bases as I am sure you are aware. But I do concede that it is fun to make, just not cost effective

LisaAnne, I will mention it will cost you a lot more to make even when purchasing the most expensive base on the market. I have always thought the stigma with m&p is the name Melt & Pour. There are some good bases as I am sure you are aware. But I do concede to that it is fun to make, just not cost effective

Thank you! That is good to know. I bet you are right on the name being part of the issue. It is actually what jump started me into making lye soap. Someone said to me that so and so makes "real" soap! It bruised my ego. A lot of artistry in the MP these days.
Again thank you

Thank you! That is good to know. I bet you are right on the name being part of the issue. It is actually what jump started me into making lye soap. Someone said to me that so and so makes "real" soap! It bruised my ego. A lot of artistry in the MP these days.
Again thank you
My daughter does beautiful m&p and I can barely pour it into a mold single color. I totally suck at doing m&p. Also some people can only use m&p including my daughter. She absolutely cannot use lye soap no matter how it is made. I usually have a couple pounds of m&p I make using a lye soap recipe as the bases then clearing it up with the surfactants and prop glycol. It makes lovely soap but does not remelt and pour easily. It has a very low melt point and wrinkles when poured a titch to hot. LOL, mine is always the titch...

I have to admit I was the same way at first. I actually told my son that I thought m&p was cheating. I couldn't see melting down someone else's soap, adding color and fragrance and calling it my own. And then I saw some of the m&p artistry. I was ashamed of myself for thinking all high and mighty. I realized I could never do some of the gorgeous things I was seeing. It sure put me in my place and I'm very grateful for it!

Beautiful!!!

I make a lot of mp myself and have for a couple of years. I use the Chinese silicon molds. I brought some og that rose gold mica, I have a unicorn mold, and was going to use it to color the mane and tail. You've given me some other ideas, though.

Back