Home Sweet Home Comments

Discussion in 'Soap and Craft Swap' started by dixiedragon, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Feb 23, 2017 #81

redhead1226

redhead1226

redhead1226

Yes Jules - The celery salt is very nice! I thought about what to do with it and it hit me immediately - Make a bloody mary! (Im not a drinker really so I didnt try it until last weekend at a family get-together) so i used the celery salt on the rim of the glass and it could not have been more perfect. What a nice treat. Thank you!

Soapmaker145 and CaraBou like this.
  2. Feb 23, 2017 #82

jules92207

jules92207

jules92207

Lifetime Supporter

Ohhhh yum! What a great idea!

redhead1226 likes this.
  3. Feb 25, 2017 #83

Steve85569

Steve85569

Steve85569

Supporting Member

Consider it stolen. I will name it after you ( Soapmaker145's Winter Cream) so you will get full credit for the recipe.

:bunny:

Soapmaker145 likes this.
  4. Feb 25, 2017 #84

Soapmaker145

Soapmaker145

Soapmaker145

Let me know if there is anything else you want to "steal". I'll leave it in a handy place:).

If you decide to use Sea Buckthorn, resist the urge to add too much because using more vitamin A precursors is not necessarily a good thing. Same if you decide to add vitamin E which I do sometime. If you decide to test multiple combinations of oils, make an anhydrous gel first by adding about 9 to 10% cera belina to the oil mix to do quick tests. It'll save you some time and money. You can always use the gel with a spray of your favorite hydrosol or directly on damp skin. Once you identify your favorite oil mix, you can turn it into a cream.

By the way, I love the wooden box you made. I put it on my desk at work. It makes me smile every time I look at it. My sense of smell is finally starting to come back. I'm looking forward to digging into my treasure box again.

5. Feb 25, 2017 #85

snappyllama

snappyllama

snappyllama

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've been crazy busy, but wanted to give a shout out to the products I've had time to try. I've been pulling out goodies at random over the past week...

DorietteFarm: the lotion is fantastic. Really lovely feel and absorption with your formulation. It really helped with my ragged cuticles too!

Carabou: the lip scrub completely got rid of my scrabbly lip dry bits. after using your scrub, I could even wear one of liquid lipstick whose color I love but tends to cling to any dryness and looks not so great after about 10 minutes. This time I could wear it all day without issues. Thanks!

Steve85569: the box is just awesome. It's found a permanent home containing all my hair ties and bobby pins that always ended up disappearing/migrating all of the place. Thanks! I got a fantastic soap from you with a woodsy scent (I promptly lost track of the packaging so I'm not sure of the name or your ingredients on the bar). The lather is nice and creamy - heavy but washes off without any residue. Good scent too... it looks like a faux-funnel pour - wispy and soothing colors. all around, first-class bar.

That's all for now, but I'm going to be reaching in the magical box 'o goodies when (IF) I return after teaching the youngest how to drive. Wish me luck!

redhead1226 likes this.
  6. Mar 27, 2017 #86

Soapmaker145

Soapmaker145

Soapmaker145

I'm determined to get through my box this week. This is my next installment. I've kept everything together and the scents are running together. If I don't comment on the scent, it's because I couldn't separate it easily from the background. I haven't unwrapped any of the soaps yet.

Redhead: The soap is beautiful and beautifully wrapped. Your story will stay with me. Your strength and courage will remind me to dig deeper when my own courage fails me. I’m so glad you were able to participate in the swap.

Doriettefarm: The lotion is light and silky and the fragrance is fresh, clean and green. I’m saving my bottle for spring. You made me want to try babassu oil. My face reacts so badly to coconut oil that I tend to avoid it and everything that resembles it including babassu. Now I’m going to do some tests blending increasing amounts of babassu with hazelnut to see what happens. I’ve never tried a lip scrub before and it won’t be my last time.

Earlene: I got the Clover Coupe in aqua blue and purple and read your story about “driving around”. Boy did it take me back…all the way to when I bought my first soaping book in NW IL. I had gone on a driving trip to western Illinois/ eastern Iowa. It was just “us girls” leaving the boys at home. We drove around and stopped wherever we wanted. On that trip, I picked up Susan Miller’s “The Soapmaker’s Companion” and 2 little antique looking cars for display that I still have. I made my first batch of soap shortly after. It was so appropriate that you send a cute car made of soap. It now found a home between the other 2 cars on one of my cookbook shelves.

Snappyllama: I’ve always wanted to try tar soap and never took the plunge. I was surprised that I liked the scent. I had expected it to smell harsh but it is more “medicinal” than anything else. The stripped printed wrapping paper is just right. The spatula was most welcome. I’ve never seen the narrow long ones before so I was thrilled to get one. Now I just have to buy a few more.

Theresa T: The rose soap is simplicity in its most elegant form. It smells like what I think soap smells like. The Aleppo soap smells very smoky to me, something I didn’t expect from Aleppo style soap. I wonder if the Laurel Berry oil that comes from Turkey is processed differently than the Syrian oil. I’m putting it on the shelf till next Christmas. The Un-Talcum powder is nice and silky. I’m not sure how much baking soda you included but I was surprised that it didn’t bother me. I would like the proportions if you don’t mind.

earlene likes this.
  7. Apr 3, 2017 #87

amd

amd

amd

I got a new tattoo and I have been using the soap 2 go on it. I love it! No carrying around a wet soap bar.

Susie likes this.
  8. Apr 4, 2017 #88

Steve85569

Steve85569

Steve85569

Supporting Member

We have just started using the soaps here. So far they are awesome ( no surprise) but I realize it's going to take a long tie to get through all the soaps and give feed back to all the talented crafty soap makers.

On a side note this swap has caused me to change my packaging ( no more plastic bags) so I now either print, cut and fold paper boxes or cigar bands.

It seems that everything I do on this forum and with it's members teaches me a great deal.

I am jealously guarding the soaps from the exchange too. When company comes over, most folks know that they can just pick up some soap - but NOT from that pile.:)

9. Apr 5, 2017 #89

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Steve85569, I am still using your soap in the shower and loving it. I suspect this is a long-lasting bar and that I may have to do a switch out to give some equal time to one of the other soap swap soaps. I just don't know which one to try next! I think I'm going to have to try to be more systematic and orderly about it.

Dixiedragon, I've been using your orange lip balm exclusively since it came and I really like how well it works. Some of those store bought brands end up drying my lips rather than moisturizing them, so I am more than happy with your formula. I brought the cookie one with my on my trip and was going to give it to my granddaughter, but I forgot to do so. Guess I'll just have to try it myself. :think:

Suzie, my eldest son saw your Soap 2 Go when he used the bathroom where I was staying when I visited him recently and was so selfish! I didn't even offer to let him try it! Bad mom; So selfish!

My gosh, how am I ever going to get around to using/trying all these wonderful items?

Susie likes this.
  10. Apr 5, 2017 #90

Steve85569

Steve85569

Steve85569

Supporting Member

"My gosh, how am I ever going to get around to using/trying all these wonderful items?"
    You will.
    Just before the next swap. [​IMG]

Susie likes this.
  11. Apr 5, 2017 #91

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

I love swaps. I confess, I have a whole box of swap soaps that haven't been used. They're so pretty. I like to pick them up and smell them and fondle them. I have 6 bars in my shower right now. I suppose I'm saving them for the zombie apocalypse.

earlene likes this.
  12. Apr 6, 2017 #92

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

We'll be the cleanest survivors around!

dixiedragon and Susie like this.
  13. Apr 6, 2017 #93

jules92207

jules92207

jules92207

Lifetime Supporter

I admit I still have some soaps from several swaps laying around. I've tried them all but kept the remains to go back and keep admiring them. I love swaps for all the variety I keep, even though my hubby hates my crazy stashes.

14. Apr 6, 2017 #94

Susie

Susie

Susie

Supporting Member

I tested everything that was ready really fast. Then I carefully placed them on their labels in a basket so I would know who made what. Everything is awesome! I use one a week so I rotate through them.

amd and Steve85569 like this.
  15. Apr 6, 2017 #95

amd

amd

amd

^^^I need to do that. So far I have only tested the "non-soap" items and the soap 2 go.

16. Apr 13, 2017 #96

amd

amd

amd

Osso: I put your Lake Life bar into the shower. Both of my kids were drawn to the bright blue and white. We all really like it. First time I have used a soap with sal butter. I've added some to my next NDA order to play with.

redhead1226, Steve85569 and osso like this.
  17. Apr 13, 2017 #97

Steve85569

Steve85569

Steve85569

Supporting Member

This is a soap maker in "hog heaven". :mrgreen:

We have a display of your soaps in the living room.:bunny:

18. Jul 10, 2017 #98

amd

amd

amd

I think my Aleppo soap has come down with a case of DOS :( A few orange spots on the top ridges of the rose. I meant to take a picture to post for confirmation, but I couldn't get myself coordinated enough. Should I start using it so the DOS doesn't spread or let it sit for the full cure, hoping that it will still be useable in the end?

Also, I don't think anything was wrong with the making of the soap - my cure rack was in questionable circumstances for the last 6 weeks during the move. I have several soaps made prior to moving and left on the cure rack that are "not quite right".

19. Jul 11, 2017 #99

BattleGnome

BattleGnome

BattleGnome

Mine has morphed to all brown but does not smell rancid, the earthy smell just mellowed out. Attached is what mine looks like on the bottom, the top is all brown

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    amd likes this.
  20. Jul 11, 2017 #100

osso

osso

osso

I've been MIA for a little bit, but glad to hear you liked it. I really love the sal butter!

I've been enjoying my swap soaps slowly, especially since I've been in a soaping drought for a while. Will pull out some of my notes soon.

Most recently I used and loved the peach neroli :)

earlene and amd like this.