home brewed beer in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goat soap rulz!

Reaction score
A few questions! I have been wanting to do a lot of experimental liquids in my soaps lately! Of course, i am still going to put some goats milk in them, but i have a few questions!

1: My uncle makes home brew and i want to put some in soap! But, i dont know if i could sell that particular soap, because it is home brew, so not as "sanitary" as big brands so i guess the question is, could i sell soap made from home brew?

2: Does coffee and tea smell stay in soap, or does it fade away ? (i would guess it fades lol!) What are some good coffee FO that i could use? Any from symphony scents? I have a few stuff i have been eyeballing, so they will be my next order :) Oh! And a tea FO please!

3: Do i need to freeze coffee, beer, and tea, like i freeze goats milk? A lot of people like to do the half/half so i could do half frozen milk and half frozen other liquid? I usually do all frozen, so this is new to me!!

Thanks!!

If you infuse herbs in oil or make teas from homegrown plant material or add coffee to soap, then how is beer any different? If the beer is safe to drink, I can't see why it would be a problem for use in soap meant for sale.

Coffee and tea odors aren't remotely concentrated enough to stick in soap. Not to mention they may not survive the lye.

I don't freeze water-based liquids. The reason why people freeze dairy milk when using it to make lye solution is to control the browning. Beer is already brown, so why bother? ;)

DeeAnna has already answered your questions and I don't have anything to add there. The best coffee FO I've used is Espresso from Bramble Berry (discolors brown), and I like Afternoon Tea from Nurture (no acceleration/discoloration). I've never used Symphony, so no advice there.

: My uncle makes home brew and i want to put some in soap! But, i dont know if i could sell that particular soap, because it is home brew, so not as "sanitary" as big brands so i guess the question is, could i sell soap made from home brew?

Aren't you making Goat Milk Soap from your own goats?

2: Does coffee and tea smell stay in soap, or does it fade away ? (i would guess it fades lol!) What are some good coffee FO that i could use? Any from symphony scents? I have a few stuff i have been eyeballing, so they will be my next order :) Oh! And a tea FO please!

No. Neither does beer or whiskey or wine. I like Chocolate Espresso by BrambleBerry and Coffee House by Rustic Escentuals.

3: Do i need to freeze coffee, beer, and tea, like i freeze goats milk? A lot of people like to do the half/half so i could do half frozen milk and half frozen other liquid? I usually do all frozen, so this is new to me!!

I would. While as noted by @DeeAnna these liquids are already brown, they can still be scorched and I'm not a fan of 'burnt' coffee. And let's not forget the sugars contained in beer, which still remain after it's been boiled to remove carbonation and alcohol.

I use beer in soap, never freeze it or do anything else special to it, and have never gotten a burnt odor or appearance. It's been an utter non-issue in my experience.

because it is home brew, so not as "sanitary" as big brands so i guess the question is, could i sell soap made from home brew?
I'm not sure why you think it's not as sanitary as "big brands", unless you know that your uncle does not clean his equipment. Good home brewers are very meticulous about cleaning and sanitizing all of their equipment, just as much as the big guys are. I have never worried about using my husband's beer, or any of the other brewers that we know, because of this.

Latest posts

Back