Holy moly salad shooter!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbalEarthling

Reaction score
So, I have a lot of soap that needs to be grated down. This pile of soap has just been growing and growing. A few months ago, I hand grated some soap the old fashioned way. I seriously thought my arm was going to fall off.

Fast foward a few weeks later, I picked up a hand cranked parmesan cheese grater and grated a few more bars. Not too bad...

But then I saw a video, maybe SoapQueen or Soaping101, I can't remember right this second and she was using a salad shooter and was reading the forums about salad shooters. So, I've been on the look out for one. Had one in my hand at Goodwill, was standing in line, and realized it was missing the battery pack. This was a few weeks ago.

This past Saturday, I was at a craft show. 1/2 hour before the show ends, they make an announcement that the flea market booths were doing a $1 bag sale. So my dear booth neighbors said they would watch my booth while I went and looked at what they had. Lo and behold, they had a SALAD SHOOTER!!! For $1 I got the salad shooter and some other nick-nacks. It was in great condition, looks like someone used it for like a second and then was like "This isn't working." I walked back to my table, smile from ear to ear just ecstatic! My neighbors were very confused as to why I was so excited about this thing (I ended up telling them everything).

OMG!!! THIS THING IS AMAZING! I just grated up almost 3.5 lbs of soap that is almost 3 months old, rock solid. Took me less than 15 mins.

Okay, so the only thing I can think of as to why someone would get rid of this thing is that the chute that attaches to the side of the mechanism that holds food/soap easily slips out of the lock position, thus making it turn off. So, that could be a pain but I am way too happy to let that even bother me. I just have to hold onto it. I highly recommend getting one of these if you have a lot of soap you need to grate up. Your elbows and shoulders will thank you! I've seen them on Amazon and actually had it on my wishlist. I hinted to hubby just a few days ago (before Saturday) that I wanted it and I'm pretty sure I would have gotten it for my birthday. Even if I hadn't found such a cheap one and had to pay full price, it would be worth every penny!

TL; DR Get yourself a salad shooter! They rock!

Thanks for the tip, now I want a salad shooter!

This is the one that I have

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IV0R/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You don't need all of the fancy attachments. Just the shredding one, the one with all of the holes. But before you go buying a brand new one, I would put a shout out on Facebook, Craigslist, yard sale forums and things like that. You never know when someone has one just collecting dust and wouldn't mind getting rid of it. Good luck! As I said, this is a very useful tool!

Some people are so lucky! :lol:

I'm glad you finally got one and for such a great price, too.

As I said in my other reply, just put it out on Facebook and stuff. You never know what will pop up... Good luck! :)

Oh and I meant to add, the link that I posted for the Amazon listing... There are a lot of reviews but I don't see anyone complaining (I didn't read every review) about the chute piece coming off. As I said, this might be the reason that someone got rid of the one I picked up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also got a salad shooter a couple weeks ago, I just love the thing. I had some nearly year old, hard as a rock bars and they shredded right up in a few minutes.

The cute on mine unlocks too, I just hold it with my hand when I use it. Might start using tape to hold it together.

Last edited:
I also got a salad shooter a couple weeks ago, I just love the thing. I had some nearly year old, hard as a rock bars and they shredded right up in a few minutes.

The cute on mine unlocks too, I just hold it with my hand when I use it. Might start using tape to hold it together.

So I don't know what I did but eventually I got it to lock. There is a lock on the lowest part of the chute that wasn't locking in but somehow I got it to eventually. Didn't have to hold it again which was nice.

You can also use the grating blade and a food processor. I use my old food processor to grate my old soap.

I also have a salad shooter and I think it is one of my greatest purchases. The older the soap is the faster it is. Some people make the mistake of not waiting until the soap is real hard. I tried to do soap that was only like 2 days old and it kept clogging up but still faster than doing it by hand. The one that I have has an attachment with little holes that does little curls. Instead of rebatching the soap which can be a consuming process. I add the curls to new batches of soap and call it a limited edition because it will not be done again until a batch does not come out like I want it to. lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back