Holidays in the time of Covid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of a full turkey I found a bacon wrapped breast - about 3lbs. It left just enough for hubby’s lunch.

im not usually the one cooks thanksgiving but I overly planned so that we wouldn’t have leftovers for days (and so that I can pretend I’m starting to eat better)

I just made turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts. I usually have so much more but with just two of us it was plenty. We usually have three stuffings and tons of veggie sides. I even forsook the buttermilk rolls this year :(. Tonight I am using the leftover mashed potatoes for shepherd's pie.

Tomorrow the meat comes off the carcass and I make stock. Then we have soup and pie. I have leftover duck in the freezer and will make chicken and do a hot water crust turducken meat pie. The best part of a turkey is the meat pie and soup.

I'm finishing up the stock tonight, unless I end up falling asleep on the couch between strainings. Hubby goes back to work in the morning & I want to get this all done & be able to make soap again while he's at work. I'm tired of the smell of turkey stock in my kitchen.

Hubby went to visit MIL from outside her window, and we are going back tomorrow together. Her phone hasn't been transferred to her new room, so we won't really be able to hear each other very well. Hubby said he had a hard time hearing her through the window and he isn't hearing impaired, so he'll have to interpret for me, I guess. But I am so glad to hear she was in good spirits and seemed to be feeling pretty well.

All in all, I think we did a good job pulling off a Thanksgiving day with the company of one equally cautious couple. We wore our masks inside, except while eating, and maintained social distancing remarkably well throughout the day. I opened most of the windows, which worked because it was a balmy 70+ degree day here in Virginia. I also set up a fan at one window to bring in fresh air. We ate indoors in our sunroom/dining room with windows on two sides and sliding doors on the third side open. We were out on the deck in the fresh air for most of the rest of the afternoon. It was only the third time since the pandemic started that I was physically with people to socialize in any way. It was a very good day for mental health. We made everything we usually make, including a big turkey and then split it up and sent half home with our guests. I’m looking forward to turkey soup! I made the stock today in an Instant Pot which I haven’t used much since we bought it last winter. It works great because it’s sealed and the smell does not permeate the house.

It was just Hubby & me, and Kitty Baby makes three. He took the day off, so I made my usual vegetarian stuffing, portioned out some of it & added some giblets to stuff a turkey for his meaty entrée.
Your meal sounds wonderful! I saw that you are a vegetarian ? Your menu sounds similar to mine, except I wish I’d thought of the portobello mushrooms! I had roasted tofu made in the air fryer for me and a granddaughter. I haven’t seen your soap recipes but wonder do you use lard or tallow in your soap? Or do you use all plant base, etc? You are so busy all the time it seems! I enjoyed reading your menu. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Your meal sounds wonderful! I saw that you are a vegetarian ? Your menu sounds similar to mine, except I wish I’d thought of the portobello mushrooms! I had roasted tofu made in the air fryer for me and a granddaughter. I haven’t seen your soap recipes but wonder do you use lard or tallow in your soap? Or do you use all plant base, etc? You are so busy all the time it seems! I enjoyed reading your menu. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Thank you, Basil. Yes, I have been a vegetarian for 21 years now. Although I started out only making soap for use in my home with only plant-based oil the first 2 or 3 years, I expanded to using lard in soaps for my non-vegetarian family. In my family there are other vegetarians, but many are not, so I figured I'd give it a try for them.

Thank you, Basil. Yes, I have been a vegetarian for 21 years now. Although I started out only making soap for use in my home with only plant-based oil the first 2 or 3 years, I expanded to using lard in soaps for my non-vegetarian family. In my family there are other vegetarians, but many are not, so I figured I'd give it a try for them.
That’s interesting. It seems using the lard and tallow are less expensive and a harder soap, but I haven’t tried. I’ve only been a vegetarian for 10 years. I’m interested in seeing what you’ll make for Christmas 🤔

Latest posts

Back