Holidays in the time of Covid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just trying to figure how much and which snackies I should make for our Star Wars movie marathon... and how to make an entire Thanksgiving dinner in snack form so that we don't have to leave the couch...

Sounds like a great time! How about Hawaiian roll sliders, (turkey and cranberry), stuffing fingers with green bean casserole dip and mashed potato poppers. I would love a challenge like that.

For your reading pleasure:
Interesting!
Thank You.gif

I set the table today for our meal tomorrow. With 6’ spacing between two couples, we’re maxed out at a table that usually seats 8-10. I set salt & pepper & butter for each end, and I guess we’ll use different sets of serving utensils when we serve ourselves in the kitchen (one couple at a time...). I’m still hoping we can eat outside. They’re calling for 70 deg, which will be fine, but also a chance of rain. Setting the table makes it feel a little festive, as do these turkeys my son and I made when he was little.

4331ED04-8A9E-4116-BA70-B39131821F70.jpeg

Just an update we got good news today my sister's tumor is benign! Jumping for JOY!!
Best news ever! much to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day' Im happy for your wonderful news. 🤗💫

Good Choice' I cant see exposing ourselves to possible covid' If its not absolutely necessary. I dont even like going to the grocery store! I use every precaution not to cross contaminate when I do, tell the Family the same. We cant be careful enough.

Change of plans' because of the spike in corona virus I felt it was to much of a chance to have even a small Family Thanksgiving Dinner! " It Takes A Village" is my thoughts to overcome this dreadful virus. Blessings to you & yours Happy Thanksgiving 🙏🏼💞.

Happy Thanksgiving! I’ll be spending it alone as sadly I was exposed to the Rona. I’m cooking dinner so that my daughter can come pick it up. We will be zooming for dinner.
Ugh sorry to hear that. Hope you are recovering well from surgery and that the C19 exposure turns out to be a nothing burger for you. 💐

When we lived in Virginia, we'd have gatherings of 15 to 21 friends at Thanksgiving. Since we've moved to the country, the most we've had is 6. With COVID we had exactly none this year, but still had a good time putting on a spread for ourselves and had much fun putting together a meal package for an older gentleman up the road who had nowhere to go due to COVID. We made sure to keep the cold separate from the hot items that could be reheated, so he could easily throw out the cold items if he wished. Hubby said he was most excited to receive his Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings.
IMG_8585.JPG

Happy Thanksgiving! I’ll be spending it alone as sadly I was exposed to the Rona. I’m cooking dinner so that my daughter can come pick it up. We will be zooming for dinner.
So sorry that you had to eat alone with daughter on Zoom. Your family must set a date in the future to have a celebration meal! I hope this quarantine just turns into a much needed vacation for you.

When we lived in Virginia, we'd have gatherings of 15 to 21 friends at Thanksgiving. Since we've moved to the country, the most we've had is 6. With COVID we had exactly none this year, but still had a good time putting on a spread for ourselves and had much fun putting together a meal package for an older gentleman up the road who had nowhere to go due to COVID. We made sure to keep the cold separate from the hot items that could be reheated, so he could easily throw out the cold items if he wished. Hubby said he was most excited to receive his Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings.View attachment 51955

I'm sure he did! What a great thing you did! And I have to ask - did you get a ladder out to take this shot?

My holiday meal lol. A turkey hoagie and cranberries lol. I had work overnight Sun mon tues, and it takes me a few days to recover. I bought chicken, cranberries and broccoli to make, but when i started pulling everything out of the fridge to cook, i decided to order door dash lol. I did make the cranberries though. Been waiting for them for a year lol,

47CAC8F4-2115-4E64-BF2B-61A57EBB63E6.jpeg

I'm sure he did! What a great thing you did! And I have to ask - did you get a ladder out to take this shot?
I did indeed use my little step ladder. :)

@lenarenee probably a selfie stick ;)
Alas, I only have an ipad, and not a smart phone, so I used a ladder. You can just see it in the lower left of the shot. :) I'd love a smart phone, but I twitch/shake just enough that I find it almost impossible to key in a phone number or type on them! Silly things. LOL

As a newbie to soap making, I've had myself thinking mostly about the right oils to mix and which to start with. I however went for the 100% pko because I wanted to see how it turns out. IMG_20201128_004717.jpg

IMG_20201127_011722_3.jpg
IMG_20201127_010441.jpgIMG_20201127_004148.jpg
Oh and I used a soapcalc to get the required weights for my recipe. After 24hours the soap was looking good and I unmolded but accidentally ruptured a few. I know this recipe is probably not good for bathing as it will definitely deprive the skin of lots of oils but what do you think about having it as a laundry soap.

Here is the recipe too
Screenshot_20201128-201010.png

My holiday meal lol. A turkey hoagie and cranberries lol. I had work overnight Sun mon tues, and it takes me a few days to recover. I bought chicken, cranberries and broccoli to make, but when i started pulling everything out of the fridge to cook, i decided to order door dash lol. I did make the cranberries though. Been waiting for them for a year lol,
I've had many a similar Thanksgiving meals. Cranberry sauce looks delish!

It was just Hubby & me, and Kitty Baby makes three. He took the day off, so I made my usual vegetarian stuffing, portioned out some of it & added some giblets to stuff a turkey for his meaty entrée. Kitty Baby scarfed down her serving of turkey, which was really only about half an ounce or so (I didn't weigh it; I just give her the equivalent of a soupspoonful of meat or she ends up vomiting.)

Even though it's only been the two of us forever, it's the first time I have actually tried to downsize the entire holiday dinner to a meal for two, rather than my usual large family gathering style. It's really hard to do and I didn't really succeed, except with the candied yams (I made enough for only 2 servings each). We still have lots of leftovers. I've been packaging portions & making soup stock ever since.

Kitty Baby only ate the turkey on Thanksgiving day one time. Each of the 2 other times I cut some up for her, she ignored it. I was actually surprised she scarfed it down on Thursday because she normally won't eat any wet cat food with turkey in it. She's quite particular, in fact. If it doesn't have salmon in it, she turns her nose up and walks away. For awhile I'd buy something else thinking, 'What cat wouldn't like this?' and it turns out she lives with me, that's what cat wouldn't like duck, turkey, any paté, any wet food that doesn't have gravy in the mix. 😺

Here's what we had for Thanksgiving:

Deviled eggs from 4 eggs (fresh chicken eggs - so delicious!) = 8 deviled eggs. It took us 3 days to finish them off, but they were delicious as usual. Good with breakfast.

Mashed potatoes & cauliflower from 2 small baking potatoes + 1/4 head of cauliflower = too many servings as a side.

Brussel sprouts with red onion in a tasty balsamic sauce made with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard & horseradish (I don't even recall where the recipe originated, but my FIL loved this dish when he first came to our house for a holiday meal & I've been making it ever since.) I ate the last of this last night; just love the sweetness of the onions in this dish to counteract the tartness of the brussel sprouts.

Stuffing using my mom's recipe, plus pine nuts, mushrooms & vegetarian sausage; the liquid I use for my stuffing is Brianna's chicken-style vegan broth powder made as broth = OMG, I have never learned to downsize stuffing, surely because I love it so much.

Stuffing for the turkey for Hubby has the cut-up boiled turkey giblets & the liquid in which they were cooked; this is added to a portion of the vegetarian stuffing I make for myself.

Stuffed portabellas made with the aforementioned stuffing (the veggie version) = two servings, which we actually didn't eat until lunch the next day.

Candied yams made with 2 smallish yams (maybe small/medium) = not enough leftovers (I love my mom's candied yams, especially when heated up and sitting atop a little bowl of stuffing.) I'll be making more this week, because this and stuffing are my two most favorite things to eat together.

Turkey, which was the smallest one we could find, was 10 pounds of meat that will last quite some time, since Hubby is the only human in the house who will eat it. Hubby's work lunches are taken care of for awhile, but to allow for variety, I've packaged some for the freezer. I am also currently working on a soup stock with the bones and whatnot. Soup has always been one of my specialties; Hubby thinks I'm a culinary soup genius, which is altogether a nice opinion for a husband to have, right?

But we forgot the cranberries! Never even took them out of the cupboard. We also forgot to put the bread in the oven. But really, we didn't need either.

Then to top that off, Hubby brought home two pies. Two, count 'em, two! And the pumpkin pie is HUGE! I don't even like pumpkin pie all that much, and this was simperingly super sweet; I ate part of one slice, and that's it for me. He's going to have to eat a whole pie all on his own. He also bought half pecan pie, which we have yet to cut into. I like pecan pie, but it's always so sweet, I can never finish a whole slice. So he'll eat most of that as well, with whipped cream of course. I like whipped cream, but the pies are just too sweet for me, a concept Hubby does not even comprehend.

Maybe we can repeat this for Christmas and eldest son can partake. After all, I will be going to help him with the move; he may as well eat a traditional Christmas dinner with us.

Back