Holidays in the time of Covid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We invited one older couple over for a socially-distanced Thanksgiving, if they decide they feel comfortable. They are as careful about staying healthy as we are. Virginia can be quite balmy in November, so we might be able to eat outside, and if not, we will open windows and crank up the fireplace to compensate. We will cook, drink champagne (a little holiday tradition that I like to keep) and listen to music, no matter what. I love Thanksgiving leftovers and what we can’t eat will go in the freezer.

My son and his fiancé are buying a new house and pushing hard for us to join them in California for Christmas, but I think the risk of traveling at that time will be way too high for my personal comfort level. I’ve barely left the house since this began. He’s my only child, now 30. As far as I can tell, there are no grand babies on the horizon for me. :(

Our family members on both sides are spread across the country, so we‘re all accustomed to rotating holiday visits. I guess we will see everyone on Zoom this year.

I always host all of the holidays. None of my 3 sons are married (23-27) and so thankfully no grandbabies yet. I want to keep Thanksgiving just my immediate family and am trying to figure out how to tell the others that they aren't invited this year with out seeming rude 🤪

I always host all of the holidays. None of my 3 sons are married (23-27) and so thankfully no grandbabies yet. I want to keep Thanksgiving just my immediate family and am trying to figure out how to tell the others that they aren't invited this year with out seeming rude 🤪
Good luck w/ that' 🤣😂😉 family can be' sensitive' especially over the Holidays.

Well, in spite of the reaction of the family, your health and welfare do have to come first. I recall when my mom & dad decided they were no longer going to host the huge holiday get togethers anymore, how it made us kids feel, grown though we were. But we all pitched in to make new traditions. We all eventually realized it was time for them to take care of themselves and not have to cater to everyone else every step of the way.

Good luck w/ that' 🤣😂😉 family can be' sensitive' especially over the Holidays.
Right!!🤪. I just spoke with my two older sons who live in Nashville and they have agreed to get a Covid-19 test on Monday or Tuesday to be sure they are not bringing anything home to us... Now to tell the rest of the people they cannot come LOL!

I'll be hiding away with hubby, making small meals just for us. I don't like holiday gatherings anyways so I'm doing good.

I'll probably take leftovers to gramma the day after but knowing her and her sons family, they will probably get together.
For some reason, the one side doesn't seem to understand you can get sick from family.

"...doesn't seem to understand you can get sick from family ..."

Ugh, yeah. I'm afraid a bunch of my family in western Iowa have the same attitude. I don't understand it.

A nurse in the University of Iowa hospital system told my co-worker Connie (his cousin) earlier this week that the U of IA system is close to being overwhelmed. And that's one of Iowa's largest and best hospital systems. He's not going near anyone outside of home and work right now -- it's just too risky.

I was just reading a news article where 32 of 83 guests at an October wedding in Ohio have tested positive for covid, including the bride and groom. Most of the guests refused to wear masks even though the bride and groom provided masks and hand sanitizers at the entrance to the wedding venue. The bride said she was shocked that so few people followed the guidelines, but she didn't say anything. I guess I can see why she didn't want to make a fuss, but it sure would have been a smart thing if she or the groom had stopped the ceremony and asked people to mask up and social distance. It's so bad people have to keep learning this lesson the hard way.

I've read a little bit about the reasons why many people behave like this, and I have struggled with my own case of "covid fatigue" at times. But so far, I haven't given up -- I hike up my big girl panties, put the d**m mask on, wash/sanitize my hands often, and keep my exposure to others to a minimum.

I belong to a social club for women motorcycle riders in my local area. One of them was having a birthday get-together at a local bar last night. She issued a private message to the rest of us to meet her at the bar and enjoy the party. I wished them all a good time while shaking my head in disbelief that she thinks this is an okay thing to do, what with covid rates going sky high in Iowa right now (the state is currently third in the nation -- a very un-enviable place to be). I doubt I'm going to attend the monthly club meetings for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
I honestly did not realize Thanksgiving was next week. When my kids were putting away the Walmart grocery order they pointed it out to me and ask why there was no turkey in our order! So hopefully I have a turkey breast in the freezer to throw in the crock pot or we are doing a "favorite meal" buffet. Last holiday we did that it included tacos, homemade pizza and I think a meat loaf and some spicy chicken fajita pasta dish!!! Hope everyone has a great holiday!!!

"...doesn't seem to understand you can get sick from family ..."

Ugh, yeah. I'm afraid a bunch of my family in western Iowa have the same attitude. I don't understand it.

A nurse in the University of Iowa hospital system told my co-worker Connie (his cousin) earlier this week that the U of IA system is close to being overwhelmed. And that's one of Iowa's largest and best hospital systems. He's not going near anyone outside of home and work right now -- it's just too risky.

I was just reading a news article where 32 of 83 guests at an October wedding in Ohio have tested positive for covid, including the bride and groom. Most of the guests refused to wear masks even though the bride and groom provided masks and hand sanitizers at the entrance to the wedding venue. The bride said she was shocked that so few people followed the guidelines, but she didn't say anything. I guess I can see why she didn't want to make a fuss, but it sure would have been a smart thing if she or the groom had stopped the ceremony and asked people to mask up and social distance. It's so bad people have to keep learning this lesson the hard way.

I've read a little bit about the reasons why many people behave like this, and I have struggled with my own case of "covid fatigue" at times. But so far, I haven't given up -- I hike up my big girl panties, put the d**m mask on, wash/sanitize my hands often, and keep my exposure to others to a minimum.

I belong to a social club for women motorcycle riders in my local area. One of them was having a birthday get-together at a local bar last night. She issued a private message to the rest of us to meet her at the bar and enjoy the party. I wished them all a good time while shaking my head in disbelief that she thinks this is an okay thing to do, what with covid rates going sky high in Iowa right now (the state is currently third in the nation -- a very un-enviable place to be). I doubt I'm going to attend the monthly club meetings for the foreseeable future.
Good Choice' I cant see exposing ourselves to possible covid' If its not absolutely necessary. I dont even like going to the grocery store! I use every precaution not to cross contaminate when I do, tell the Family the same. We cant be careful enough.

To BattleGnome - I couldn't agree with you more about Wisconsin. I am a resident of Wisconsin and people wearing masks varies from county to county. I don't understand what is so difficult about putting on a mask. In my county, 300 people walked in to a county board meeting to complain about masks. Not one of the 300 wearing a mask. County board members called it a Covid party.
Small Thanksgiving for me. Something that I read today - Better a Zoomgiving than an ICU

All this magical thinking about Covid is very disturbing! I understand why no one wants to deal with Covid, neither do I. But I also don't think it's going to skip over me and mine "just cause" if I don't take precautions. Thanksgiving this year will be me and my husband, with 2 dogs begging for turkey scraps. My very best wishes for everyone here to stay vigilant and safe.

We've rented a pavilion in a local state park for Tgiving. Literally every Thanksgiving I can recall for my entire life has had gorgeous, sunny weather - sometimes cold but always sunny. So knock on wood that this continues! But even so, we're down from our usual 30 people to around 10.

It's really scary. My co-worker has a special needs sister who is in her 70s. She got pneumonia and had to stay in a bed in the emergency room for 24 hours b/c there were no other beds. So scary.

Well, in spite of the reaction of the family, your health and welfare do have to come first. I recall when my mom & dad decided they were no longer going to host the huge holiday get togethers anymore, how it made us kids feel, grown though we were. But we all pitched in to make new traditions. We all eventually realized it was time for them to take care of themselves and not have to cater to everyone else every step of the way.
We faced that when my mom and dad moved when they retired. I picked up the torch for the locals (meaning NY and NJ) relatives and my holiday has grown year by year. I will so miss this Thanksgiving as I have felt the need to "keep family together" since my mom and dad passed. Family is so important and missing them at the holidays is so acute for so many of us.

I'm haven't discussed with my husband yet, but I am going to be putting my foot down and we will not be doing any extended family get togethers, at least for Thanksgiving.
We had the discussion and it did not go as horribly as I thought it would. He was totally on board with the "not mixing germ pools" he just didn't think I would be. (Ummmm.... any reason to not have to spend ridiculous amounts of time with my inlaws is a good reason for me!) So we will be staying home and doing a small get together with our nuclear family - which this year will be just my hubby, daughter and I as the oldest boy will be working (he moved out of the house in March), and the middle boys will be at their mom's. I'm just trying to figure how much and which snackies I should make for our Star Wars movie marathon... and how to make an entire Thanksgiving dinner in snack form so that we don't have to leave the couch...

We just received emergency alerts on our phones: All of Illinois is in Tier 3 Resurgence Mitigation; our CoVid infections rates, hospitalizations, ICU & on ventilators are higher right now than they were at the peak this past Spring. It's not looking good here in the MidWest. I was just thinking about getting my hair cut again.

Back