Holi powder as colourant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
I took part in a charity run at the weekend that involved having powder paint flung at us at various points around the route. We all received a couple of the bags and on the bag it said safe for use in food, medicine and cosmetics. Which got me wondering if anyone has ever used these in soap? I wonder if they're stable or not?

This was the particular brand they had: http://www.carecolours.com

It's known as holi powder and got be obtained quite cheaply online

Has anyone tried it?

That site says the powder is corn starch and food grade color. Sounds like its probably FD&C colors, they are safe in soap but some will morph. Not sure what affect the corn starch would have on the soap.

If it's like the stuff I remember I would be cautious about using it. If the same, it is pretty much strictly made for the purposes of flinging at people during Holi, I would not be surprised if it bled and morphed quite a bit. It certainly makes an un-Holi mess of your clothes and skin after a pelting :)

ETA: just re-read your post, maybe it is from a different source if it is supposedly stable/safe for use in cosmetics. I would try a small batch and not be surprised if the results varied between colors, though.

Last edited:
I might give it a try in a small batch with it costing so little - what have I got to lose?

We had so much fun, here's a pic, my step daughter looks miserable but she was so tired - she's only 9 but jogged the whole 5km with us!!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1442868854.337272.jpg

Latest posts

Back