hog skin oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is a question that left me wide eye, I have never heard of hog skin oil soap?:( The hog skin fat was rendered and would not solidify, even when refrigerated. The soap calc has nothing on hog skin oil. Any one heard of such a fat? My curiosity has the best of me.

Interesting! That's a whole new one to me- never heard of it! Off to do an interweb search hog skin soap...........

IrishLass :)

Lard before it's fully rendered?
There is a layer of fat right under the hide...?

There is also a liniment ( oil) for putting ON hogs to keep bugs off and also to make them purdy ( for showing like in 4-H).

Now that question took me back to brain cells I didn't even know were still with me.:confused:

Well, I went poking about and came up empty-handed on pig skin oil soap and also on pig skin oil. I did, however, get lots of hits on the oil/liniment that Steve mentioned in his post. lol

Next, I looked on a few lard rendering sites and ran into one or two folks who tried to render backfat from a pig/hog (which oftentimes still has some of the skin attached), and they complained that their rendered fat never solidified, not even when in the fridge. The advice they got in return was 1) either they didn't render it properly, or 2) maybe the fat they used was from a hog that was raised more naturally (the quality or density of the rendered fat can differ depending on diet).

Where did you say you saw the soap?

Well, I went poking about and came up empty-handed on pig skin oil soap and also on pig skin oil. I did, however, get lots of hits on the oil/liniment that Steve mentioned in his post. lol

Next, I looked on a few lard rendering sites and ran into one or two folks who tried to render backfat from a pig/hog (which oftentimes still has some of the skin attached), and they complained that their rendered fat never solidified, not even when in the fridge. The advice they got in return was 1) either they didn't render it properly, or 2) maybe the fat they used was from a hog that was raised more naturally (the quality or density of the rendered fat can differ depending on diet).

Where did you say you saw the soap?

It was on a post of one other soap forum. It's a private forum, these people did say that the hog was raised locally, so it must be all natural. They havent made the soap because they dont know how much Lye should be use in order to saponify the fat. They did say that it wouldnt solidify even when refrigerated.

Lard before it's fully rendered?
There is a layer of fat right under the hide...?

There is also a liniment ( oil) for putting ON hogs to keep bugs off and also to make them purdy ( for showing like in 4-H).

Now that question took me back to brain cells I didn't even know were still with me.:confused:
my browsing found this, "“Well, my point is, if pigs are similar in their body make-up to people, then doesn’t it make sense that pork fat would work well as a people moisturizer?”
I guess I could make a pork urizer.:silent:

I found a pork tallow sap value, .138 from
http://www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk/acatalog/Guide-To-SAP-Values.html

I wonder if it would be the as the hog skin fat?

If it doesn't solidify in the fridge, the oil is monounsaturated like olive oil. If you want to try a small batch, use the SAP value for hazelnut, high-oleic sunflower oil or olive oil with 6 to 7% superfat. You should come pretty close to the correct amount of lye. You can adjust up or down in later batches if needed.

Better yet, use it for food if it is food grade.

Back