Hobby Lobby today....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of today, the Hobby Lobby I work at is officially closed until further notice. Even though we sell essential oils, we are not considered an essential store. (someone actually called and asked that according to my CSM) We stayed long enough to unload and process the truck and make sure the registers were cleaned. I can't say for the other stores, but our registers were soaked down completely. I used an entire bottle of disinfectant on them. If a customer could come in contact with it, it got soaked down to the baseboards, lol.

I'm not quite sure if a crochet emergency will qualify as "essential" travel in case of a lockdown, so I decided to make a quick stop at Hobby Lobby while I was out shopping today for a little extra yarn.

I was shocked. Amazed. Stunned even. Row upon row of fully stocked shelves. Aisle after aisle devoid of customers. Only two cashiers and both with only 1-2 people in line.

What exactly are people planning on doing when it comes time to quarantine/lockdown? Doesn't anyone have hobbies anymore? Is it seriously all just Netflix and Playstation?

I find thoughts running thru my head like "What is wrong with young people today?" And for the first time in my life, I feel old. : (

Retired Teacher here, , and when students said they were bored!!! I’d go ballistic. I taught in a Special Center w/ profoundly disabled students & reminded my behavior challenged kids how our friends ate blended food & couldn’t run, play, interact, learn! They eventually got my drift. Slipped in my own soap for boys to use after tinkling, etc.
It hurts that most kids are under the influence of gaming technology but many are really utilizing their brains w/technology towards great

Last edited by a moderator:
Mom would say "only boring people are bored" and then wait to see if you found something to do or if ya "needed help".
We learned very quickly never to tell my mom we were bored. She always found something for us to do and it was never something we wanted to do. I still despise weeding the garden!

Like many of you, I'm also a knitter. Right now, I have at least three projects to finish, including a pair of felted slippers for my husband, a shawl for myself, and a knitting repair job for a friend. I also need to organize my soap storage room (aka the spare bedroom). Maybe then I'll find that lost batch of gardener's soap.

That said, I'm still working but we're reducing our open hours. We're usually open 8:30 - 5 Mon. through Friday but, starting next week, it will be 9:30 - 3:30. Already, three of our eleven staff (in 2 locations - two had been travelling and are now in self-isolation) have been laid off. My co-worker and I work half days for now and next week, depending on how busy it is or isn't, some production staff will be working alternate days or as needed.

@Relle wow, I love that afghan. I can crochet, but not very well. My sister is a very accomplished knitter.

Before I started making soap, my main hobby was sewing. My fabric stash is ginormous. I have gorgeous wool that I bought in the Los Angeles fabric district to make a coat, but it would be a MAJOR project. I haven’t even managed to make simple curtains for the cabinets in my pantry since I started making soap.

I have never understood how anyone can say they are bored.

My next project, no current pattern available, I'll have to improvise. :D:D:D
89966405_10221953539768295_3530891742163238912_n.jpg

I was asking my hubby if he thought I might need a new hobby to stay sane in case of a "shelter in place" order. He looked at me as if I had grown an extra head.

The bandwidth of our internet and the cell phone systems are getting overloaded in this area. I was getting lots of "all circuits are busy" when trying to call cell phones the last two days from work. And I was having trouble streaming video to my bedroom TV last night (I primarily only watch TV to fall asleep, as it puts me to sleep. That's why I have hobbies.) So, more people need to step away from the devices and find hobbies.

Happy to report that free motion quilting is woooonderfulll!!!!! It also goes a lot faster than I realized and I'm jonesing for more fabric.

I'm not quite sure if a crochet emergency will qualify as "essential" travel in case of a lockdown, so I decided to make a quick stop at Hobby Lobby while I was out shopping today for a little extra yarn.

I was shocked. Amazed. Stunned even. Row upon row of fully stocked shelves. Aisle after aisle devoid of customers. Only two cashiers and both with only 1-2 people in line.

Our local Hobby Lobby is still open in spite of a strong stay at home order from our governor. I would so love to go to Hobby Lobby! Our’s is usually packed with dozens of crAfters. I meet the nicest people there, usually in the fabric dept. I sew, quilt, hand embroider and smock, and just lately make soap!

I love Seminole patchwork! As soon as I get over this plague I mean to do some!

I learned quick to never claim boredom around Gram, lol. She'd find some chore or another for me, be it tending the animals, mending fences, gardening or crafting. To this day, I have to have my hands occupied with something no matter what my brain is occupied with. I can't even watch TV or a movie without losing interest in 5 -10 minutes.

My SO has decided that if something can hold my interest throughout the entire thing, it's worth his interest, lol. Unless it's a movie or show that he's interested in or seen before, he doesn't always pay attention to what I'm trying to watch. If I can sit and watch the entire thing without distraction the first time, then he'll watch it when I rewatch it.

Now I'm wondering if that's why he so encouraging about the soap making, lol. He knows I can spend hours on that without distraction.

I have a handful of hobbies, and have even come to enjoy my chores about the house, but I also enjoy a little time to stare into space and let my brain roam about. It's not laziness, I swear! :tub:

My Gran,a had a sure fire way of getting rid of "bordness", she plunked the 1st book of our Encyclopedia into my lap and had me read. She even bookmarked it so when I said it again I could "pick up where I left off"! I got all the way to "G" before I figured out her strategy. I read the rest of the volumes just so I could know the ending! This has made me a wiz at Trivial Pursuit!

My Gran,a had a sure fire way of getting rid of "bordness", she plunked the 1st book of our Encyclopedia into my lap and had me read. She even bookmarked it so when I said it again I could "pick up where I left off"! I got all the way to "G" before I figured out her strategy. I read the rest of the volumes just so I could know the ending! This has made me a wiz at Trivial Pursuit!

I love that! I was made fun of in school because I always read either the dictionary or encyclopedias during free time. But, ya know? I always made high grades in nearly all my classes. I still have the massive Webster's dictionary my mom had growing up. Printed in the 1960's, complete with a section on etiquette and other social stuff. According to my family, I became a walking dictionary thanks to that thing.

Latest posts

Back