Himalayan rhubarb root and indigo or woad for purple

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

lwwh67

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has tried to mix blue/red natural colorants to make purple. I tried rhubarb/indigo and madder/indigo but as they cured, the color changed. I think the madder/indigo could work if i added more indigo. It was more red than purple. I haven't tried mixing with woad. Just wondering if anyone had any luck with mixing colors for purple

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't tried mixing, but I have used alkanet for purple, with very unpredictable results. Sometimes it is grey, sometimes it is almost black, and sometimes I get a nice purple. I'm not the best at precise measurements so I'm sure the variations are my fault.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Linking to a thread on getting purple with alkanet root. There are some links within that thread too, as well of photos of my deep purple soap from alkanet root: How to naturally colour goats milk soap purple

I have never used rhubarb to color soap, nor mixed two different natural colorants as if mixing paints, so don't know how well that works. But I have been successful with alkanet.

Mobjack Bay

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve mixed madder and indigo in the past and the color balance shift towards red even though it started out a gorgeous eggplant purple. I recently saw a very pretty bright purple soap on FB that was made using rhubarb root and alkanet-infused oils, so I did a little test batch. For some crazy reason I also decided to make the soap at 45% lye concentration. Although the soap itself isn’t very nice, and I didn’t quite get my infused oil balance where I wanted it and then also got a partial gel, I still think the results are promising. From left to right below the colorants are: indigo + alkanet, alkanet + rhubarb with a tiny bit of indigo, rhubarb with a little alkanet.

F0B7E507-D76E-4D58-B615-1827A9E24139.jpeg

Here’s a closeup look at another soap I recently made with indigo and alkanet Infusions. It was the first time I used alkanet and I’m pretty happy with the color for a swirl. It will be interesting to see if it goes grey when used at a lower concentration. I’m guessing the color of the base recipe will make a difference. The recipe I used for these soaps is not my whitest base.

ED9FBB10-3B5E-4DAD-AFDE-0F0744786304.jpeg

LiliKuenca

Reaction score
This seems to be a bit old but hopefully the author is still looking for an answer. I have used madder and h.rhubarb with better and more durable results with rhubarb. I get a super deep purple but I'm sure i can get a lighter one if i use less of both (obviously). My recipe is 50% OO so i replace part of that with 30%rhubarb and 5% of indigo. I don't seem to be able to upload a photo from my phone but if needed let me know.

Latest posts