Himalayan Pink Salt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made my first salt bars a few weeks ago using Himalayan pink salt (and added 1/8 tsp pink ultramarine). Then yesterday I was reading on here that you shouldn't use it because it's really scratchy. Uh, oh. I just grabbed a palmful of my salt and added some hot water to it. I rubbed the paste, really hard, on both of my forearms. I am happy to report no cuts or abrasions on either arm.

I purchased my salt at the grocery store. It came in a 14 oz container and had huge chunks that you're supposed to put in a salt grinder. I used my coffee grinder to turn it into powder. It is literally very fine powder/dust. So, I guess that is why I did' get any abrasions or scratches. I would not recommend doing this experiment yourself. My arms are starting to smart (5 min after the fact), so I guess there are SOME microscopic abrasions, but I'll bet that has more to do with how hard and long I rubbed bare salt on my arms more than anything else.

So, without having actually used my soap yet, I'm betting finely ground powdery Himalayan pink salt in a salt bar would not cause any cuts or abrasions as many of you have experienced. When I actually use my soap, I'll skip the pouf and use the bar directly on my skin to see if it causes issues. I'll let you know the results.

At the very least, the fine powdery dust would probably dissolve in water quicker to make brine, right?

I use pink Himalayan salt in salt bars without any problems. Any salt you use could cause problems if it is not fine ground. There is no different in hardness (or no discernible difference) in salt types. (Talking real salt as opposed to Epsom salts).

What a coinky dink. I have some pink salt finely ground right now sitting in my soaping room waiting to be turned into some salt bars too. I measured out the salt and even added the FO into it but then I ran out of time to do a batch. The salt and FO are just marinating together now. I wonder if mixing in the FO with the salt and letting it sit will help anchor the scent better. I've just always done it that way so I forget less things.

Vmakkers, let me know how the scent holds up when you finally make it, OK? I'm having trouble with my FOs & EOs sticking. I'm experimenting this weekend by making several batches of the same soap, but using different things to try to anchor the scent. My first batch was anchored with red Moroccan clay (probably too much, now that I've read some posts here about it). I'm going to try a batch with bentonite clay, one with DE and one just plain as a control. I may try one with 25% canning salt; not sure since the SF is only 8%. Would the salt be too drying with that low SF? Gotta do some research.

I'm planning on curing these for a year and "maybe" selling them at the "Yard Sale From Hell" next year. I need to find a good anchor for the scent. I've ordered some benzoin powder and kaoline clay. When they get here, I'll experiment with those as well. If I'm not able to sell them, there is going to be a lot of "bug off!" soap floating around Signal Mountain next year.

I've found arrowroot powder helps anchor fairly well. The batch you are doing with 8% SF, how much coconut will be in it?

Vmakkers, let me know how the scent holds up when you finally make it, OK? I'm having trouble with my FOs & EOs sticking. I'm experimenting this weekend by making several batches of the same soap, but using different things to try to anchor the scent. My first batch was anchored with red Moroccan clay (probably too much, now that I've read some posts here about it). I'm going to try a batch with bentonite clay, one with DE and one just plain as a control. I may try one with 25% canning salt; not sure since the SF is only 8%. Would the salt be too drying with that low SF? Gotta do some research.

I'm planning on curing these for a year and "maybe" selling them at the "Yard Sale From Hell" next year. I need to find a good anchor for the scent. I've ordered some benzoin powder and kaoline clay. When they get here, I'll experiment with those as well. If I'm not able to sell them, there is going to be a lot of "bug off!" soap floating around Signal Mountain next year.

I've made a few batches of salt bars thus far. Right now I have a coconut lime from Nurture curing since 5/27 and the scent is still strong. I didn't let the salt/FO mixture sit for a few days, probably only a few hours. I've just started just adding a tsp of kaolin clay to all my FOs since it helps with slip and I've heard it helps anchor. I figure it couldn't hurt either way. Used 50% salt, 0.7 FO PPO. 17% SF but soaped it with coconut milk/coconut cream. Regular sea salt finely ground too.

My other batch was at 50% salt with juniper berry/citrus EO blend. That one I did back on 3/7. I did that at .8 PPO and scent isn't that strong. I used regular sea salt finely ground. 20% SF. This one was only a couple hours too.

I haven't done a full salt bar with only 8% SF but I have done a brine bar with 8% SF and 1.44 oz salt to 5.76 water. I prefer my salt bar with 20% SF over this one. It's still a good soap but I just don't feel as soft and I get more of a sticky feeling when I'm still wet. I did this one with 25% CO. All my other ones have been 80% CO with various combos of 4 other oils. I haven't been soaping very long(since Feb) or had an opportunity to try a long cured salt bar but I still think I like salt bars over brine bars.

I plan to soap the mixture I have sitting this weekend. I checked on it last night and it smells strong. I figured by letting it sit, the FO can get absorbed better. Kinda like bath salts? I'll let you know the results!

Last edited:
I've found arrowroot powder helps anchor fairly well. The batch you are doing with 8% SF, how much coconut will be in it?

4.8 oz out of 32 oz. here's the recipe (probably not a good idea to try with salt?) I think I've got arrowroot in the cupboard. Heaven knows what I used it for, it's a thickener, isn't it?

image.jpg

Your salt may be fine, but do not be suprised if you get scratched with some sharp salt edges. Maybe if you use a good burr grinder you may not get the sharp edges, but grinders with blades will cause sharp edges even if you grind it finely. You can purchase fine pink himalayan sea salt which is much safer to use in salt bars

Teresa, I would not use that recipe for a salt bar, it really doesn't have enough coconut. Even 25% salt will really reduce the lather, I would try something along the lines of 50% coconut, 25% olive, 20% lard, 5% castor with a 10%SF.

Thanks, Obsidian. I didn't think so, but I thought I'd check. I checked my cupboard this morning. I don't have arrowroot powder after all. It's cream of tartar I've got. Oh, well. No biggie. I'll make the DE and control batches today and wait for my WSP order to arrive. I really need to buy some 1# molds. All of these 2# experimental batches are kind of annoying. :-|

Back