Hilbilly Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutty

Reaction score
So the first picture is my first batch I've ever made of soap. 55% Lard, 25% Coconut Oil, 20% Olive Oil. Came out great being unscented with a fantastic lather.

The second picture I just whipped up today with 55% Lard, 5% Castor, 20% Coconut, 20% Olive oils. I also added .5 oz of lavender essential oil to it for a fragrance. As you can see by the silver platter, pink time card, and makeshift mold....I'm hooked.

20160314_224228.jpg

20160314_224244.jpg

Beautiful soaps! You're going to love them!

It would be a good habit to get into to name or number each batch and label them and the recipe with that name. (Save those recipes!) Also, date your batches. When you get many more than two batches all curing at the same time, dates will tell you at a glance if the soap is done curing or not.

The second picture I just whipped up today with 55% Lard, 5% Castor, 20% Coconut, 20% Olive oils.

I am using this recipe now and it is a really nice bar of soap!

It would be a good habit to get into to name or number each batch and label them and the recipe with that name. (Save those recipes!) Also, date your batches. When you get many more than two batches all curing at the same time, dates will tell you at a glance if the soap is done curing or not.

I did the first part and named my batches, however, I learned the hard way on dating them. I have a dry erase calendar that I use for quick reference to the age of the soaps. I also *thought* I wrote down the dates on the recipe itself, so I didn't think twice when I erased the board. Then when I looked at my recipe to see if the Vanilla Fudge bar was ready, I hadn't wrote down the day I made it. :confused: Luckily I had posted about it here, but now I will try to be SURE I jot the date down on the recipe.

Beautiful soaps! You're going to love them!

Thank you! I will do this :)

I think I may have messed up that second batch....see the soapcalc tells to use .5oz of fragrance per pound of soap. I just pulled and cut my lavender soap today and I thought my eyes were gonna year up because the smell is so strong. If I let it cure, will the smell dissipate a little?

I print out a copy of the soapcalc recipe the day I make a batch and keep it with the soap as it cures. I also scratch the date on an end cut or other bar so I can track each batch.
I am so absent minded and disorganized I can't repeat an " I love this" batch without doing that!

The fragrance will dissipate rather quickly. By the time most of my soaps have a full cure on them they are only mildly fragranced until lathered with.

Back