Hiii!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MysPhoenix

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Dani. I've been reading posts on here for quite a while and today I finally created an account.

I'm new to making soaps/bath bombs/bath salts/etc but I'm having a LOT of fun learning!

My intentions is for this to be a fun side business for me. I work in the Veterinary Industry full time and I love it. Before joining the vet industry I worked in the restaurant industry and have several years of experience as a server and as a cook. I feel at times that the cooking experience comes in handy when making soaps and helps with the learning curve *slightly*.

I want to make soaps, bathbombs, etc. that would appeal to the witchy/pagan/new agey/wiccan/etc crowd as I am pagan and would love to make self-care/bath products for fellow practitioners whether they be curious dabblers or reverent practitioners, or those who might find such products FUN (hello fellow Halloween lovers! lol), but I also am planning to make two lines of "cause" soaps - "spa boxes" so to speak for both of those lines, and they are "cause" soaps because a certain percentage of proceeds from one line will be donated to NOMV and a certain amount of proceeds from the other will either be donated to a local rescue or ASPCA (undecided which atm). I haven't decided if the "cause" soaps will be under the same business name as my main stuff or not, but I am just starting out.

Sorry if this is insanely long and thx to anyone who took the time to listen to me ramble! lol.

Welcome. MysPhoenix. Have you made batch of soap yet? Which route are you planning to go with soap in terms of the type of soap? Solid soap or Liquid soap? If solid bar soap, are you planning to use Melt & Pour, or are you going to make soap from scratch using the Cold Process method, or were you thinking of Hot Process?

But of course, the first step is to make soap, if you plan to eventually sell soap. Plus you will still have to test your product over time to ensure it is safe and performs well over time, using objective testers (not only yourself). This takes time, which is why you've probably already read a year of preparation and trials is recommended before selling.

Welcome. MysPhoenix. Have you made batch of soap yet? Which route are you planning to go with soap in terms of the type of soap? Solid soap or Liquid soap? If solid bar soap, are you planning to use Melt & Pour, or are you going to make soap from scratch using the Cold Process method, or were you thinking of Hot Process?

But of course, the first step is to make soap, if you plan to eventually sell soap. Plus you will still have to test your product over time to ensure it is safe and performs well over time, using objective te"

Thank you for responding!

As of right now, I am sticking with solid soap. I would like to branch out into liquid soap (like liquid handsoaps & textured body washes) in the future but would like to get a good grip on solid soaps, whipped sugar/salt scrubs, & luxury clay face masks first.

I have had great success with all of my melt & pour experiments - with exception to when I added too much salt to a "dark chocolate & sea salt" recipe I made once and it turned into concrete-like mixture 🤣🤣🤣

I have six friends to be my guinea pigs, and I can trust 5 of them to be straight forward and give me constructive criticism 100% of the time, the 6th one just "loves everything" (bless her heart).

I have been doing melt & pour for just over a year a now (QUARAN-hobby!), along with bath bombs (learning to get those to set up correctly was a trip!), bath salts, salt/sugar scrub cubes, and sugar/salt scrubs. It's been fun and quite the learning experience and the dedicated recipes I have down pat for those products are the only ones I would feel comfortable selling at this time - as you pointed out I need to be able to monitor and use over a long span of time to ensure longevity & quality.

I am now branching out into Hot Process and will be making my first HP soap as soon as my materials arrive. I picked HP over CP because I live in an apartment so the sooner I can cut the soap into bars to cure the better due to space. Eventually (some time this summer) I plan to put shelving up so I have a dedicated space for CP to go through their saponification process in the molds, but there other things I need to take care of first before I can make that a reality.

But of course, the first step is to make soap, if you plan to eventually sell soap. Plus you will still have to test your product over time to ensure it is safe and performs well over time, using objective testers (not only yourself). This takes time, which is why you've probably already read a year of preparation and trials is recommended before selling.

PS - those squirrels are GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

Back