Hihi from PA!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckanai

Reaction score
Hi there!
I came across this forum while doing some research on creating a dreadlock shampoo and hydrating spray. It actually wasn't my reason for checking it out, though!
I have purchased a few body butters from Etsy and I thought I'd look into why when I get them, they tend to be really hard. I don't want to make the person feel bad, so I may just see if I can fix a couple that I have. I think I've managed to figure it out, this place is super informative. I really just wanted to jump in here and say hi and I am really thankful to have come across this forum!

Welcome aboard. If you have type 3-4 hair with dreads, I strongly suggest you avoid using handmade soap and start doing a balanced research on all the ingredients that go into stand shampoos, humectants, anything that boosts moisture really. As for a hydrating spray, check out hydrosols and preservatives as ingredients, heavy emphasis on preservatives though. A lot of people may call preservatives bad but it's better to use a spray with >1% preservatives than to catch ringworm on your scalp and hair or worse because God know what grew in your spray.

Welcome, Fellow PA soaper here. This is the best resource on the web for all things soap..

Welcome from Philly, PA! I get my oils and butters from Bulk Apothecary, scents from local small businesses, and molds from where ever I can find them. I do cp soap, shampoo bars, hair conditioner bars, lotion bars, and butters. My daughter makes cream lotions, sugar scrubs, "Magic" liquid soap, makeup remover (this stuff gets off stage makeup in 1 application!), and liquid hand soap.

Welcome aboard. If you have type 3-4 hair with dreads, I strongly suggest you avoid using handmade soap and start doing a balanced research on all the ingredients that go into stand shampoos, humectants, anything that boosts moisture really. As for a hydrating spray, check out hydrosols and preservatives as ingredients, heavy emphasis on preservatives though. A lot of people may call preservatives bad but it's better to use a spray with >1% preservatives than to catch ringworm on your scalp and hair or worse because God know what grew in your spray.
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I used to have sister locs and used a shampoo bar from Anita Grant in the UK. She uses babassu oil. It was the best thing I ever used on my locs. They were so healthy. I have since cut them off but they left my hair so soft and shiny. That’s one of the things I plan to make. I live in the UK but she has a great website if you want to check it out for some great ideas and different oils etc.
There were no problems with it at all. Much better than regular shampoo.

Back