High tallow recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikolye

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been using locally sourced tallow for ages. When i first started a handful of years back i used really high amounts but eventually found my golden number to be around 30%.

I'd like to re-visit high tallow recipes and wondering what other oils people add to this type recipe.
I won't go into the details of why but i want to make a cheaper 60% tallow bar that is simple. 3 oils simple. I would normally do a 3 oil bar with coconut and olive oil as well but does 60% tallow really need any coconut? i find tallow rather cleansing on its own. how about 35% olive and 5% coconut? Maybe omit coconut entirly and do tallow, olive and castor? hmmmm

My husband can smell tallow in the slightest when i don't notice the smell at all so i was wondering what usage rate most people scent a recipe like this? I normally scent with eo's at 3% of my oils but was thinking for this to do 5%

any tips, opinions on high tallow recipes is welcome.

Most recently, my favorite recipe is a three-oil one with tallow:

90% tallow
5% coconut
5% castor

I do like a touch of coconut for some larger bubbles, and the castor to sustain the lather, of course. But I find tallow is a strong enough actor to carry the stage almost by itself.

If I were to turn this down to 60% tallow...

60% tallow
35% olive
5% castor

Neither of us can scent tallow in the soap, but if the EO could be used at 5%, I guess you could. It might make the soap a bit softer, and you might notice that over 3% usage.

You will need to check the maximum usage rate for the EOs used in soap. Wholesale Supplies Plus lists the maximum usage rate under the description of each of their EOs. Brambleberry.com has a fragrance calculator that can be used to determine the amount of EOs to use. Some EOs, such as eucalyptus or tea tree, are more pungent and longer lasting.

https://www.brambleberry.com/pages/Fragrance-Calculator.aspx

Latest posts

Back