High Superfat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
Apparently I like exercises in futility. I want to make peanut butter soap work to some extent. I have a lot of math ahead of me but I was wondering. What the highest Superfat would be considered acceptable before the soap would physically not solidify. Can I go as high as 40% or would it be best to settle around 20?

My question is why would you want that much free oil? Are you using high CO? I use 20% with my 80% CO but can't even imagine even wanting to use a soap with that much extra in a regular bar. It will affect your lather and will be at a higher risk of DOS I would think.

Last edited:
The plan is to use 100% peanut butter. I'm having troubles trying to figure out how much peanut solid compared to oil is in peanut butter so having a rough estimate of "too much" might give me a good place to figure out an ideal.

The plan is to use 100% peanut butter. I'm having troubles trying to figure out how much peanut solid compared to oil is in peanut butter so having a rough estimate of "too much" might give me a good place to figure out an ideal.

Won't the label on the container tell you how much fat per 100g of a particular type of peanut butter?

Not only the nutrition info so you know how many fat grams per serving but also the ingredient list. Some brands contain oils other than peanut, such as rapeseed and soybean. There will also be sugars, maybe molassas, so consider that too. I'd avoid adding extra sugar, not insulate and watch closely for signs of a volcano. Puting it in the fridge or freezer is probably a good idea.

I'm interested with how your experiment goes. Are you using "natural" peanut butter - without all the added sugar and other oils? You've got me pondering the jar I have in the pantry right now. It tastes good, but it is such a pita to stir when I just want a PB&J (e.g. on a conference call where I can just mumble "umhrmm" in agreement while I wolf down my lunch).

^This. You will have to look at the calories per serving then the calories from fat, and figure out your percentage from there.

thank you for this. I was planning a much more complicated 1500 peanuts to 1.5 pints of oil with 540 peanuts to 12oz of peanut butter and my math isnt the best.

I'm interested with how your experiment goes. Are you using "natural" peanut butter - without all the added sugar and other oils? You've got me pondering the jar I have in the pantry right now. It tastes good, but it is such a pita to stir when I just want a PB&J (e.g. on a conference call where I can just mumble "umhrmm" in agreement while I wolf down my lunch).

This thread is where my first experiments went. Now I'm trying to "math right" to get something useable. I have single ingredient peanut butter and some peanut oil to figure it out.

Latest posts

Back