High Shea butter recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrayGrants

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe that is high in Shea butter and does not use any olive oil. I could always just exchange RBO for the olive or something else. I've been wanting to try a high shea soap and I have a bunch of it that I need to use. Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Okay so I have been out of the soaping game for awhile so I have a few questions about this recipe. I imagine the ROE and Vitamin E are for shelf life and the arrowroot and oakmoss absolute are anchoring the fragrance, finally the turmeric is for color? Is all of this correct?

Could I get away without using the ROE and Vitamin E and substituting kaolin clay for the arrowroot and oakmoss absolute? Sorry for my newbishness!!!

I imagine the ROE and Vitamin E are for shelf life and the arrowroot and oakmoss absolute are anchoring the fragrance, finally the turmeric is for color? Is all of this correct?
Yes. Spot on! :thumbs:
Could I get away without using the ROE and Vitamin E and substituting kaolin clay for the arrowroot and oakmoss absolute?
Sure. Go for it! :thumbs: ;) Good thinking!

Last edited:
7846E755-E380-4411-9F7C-AD90B49F94B6.jpeg

Well here is how it turned out. I call it the “I thought it was going to trace quickly and it didn’t so I
decided to add another color” swirl!

I was unsure about what superfat to use so I went with 5%, I hope that is okay. Can’t wait to try this soap as it sounds luxurious.

Fragrance is Royal Tonka from WSP!!!

Last edited:
10 10 10.gif
Lookin' good!

ETA: It looks like a Tequila Sunrise... a local drink we enjoyed when we first vacationed in Cancun. YUM!

Last edited:
I am familiar with the drink. You never mentioned about the superfat %. Like I said I went with 5% so I hope that is okay.

I really appreciate all the support from you all as fancy soap is something that is a bit beyond my skill set, but I do find beauty in many soaps!

I’ve been working at this for awhile now and up until recently I have been unimpressed with the results of my soaps.

I have very sensitive skin and soaps high in coconut, and from what I can tell olive oddly enough bother me. Been replacing OO with RBO and lowering CO. Everyone else says my soaps feel great though, but I don’t want to push something that I don’t like, even if it’s for free!!!

You never mentioned about the superfat %. Like I said I went with 5% so I hope that is okay.
It's easy to miss... here's where to find the SF% in my recipes.
11.4 oz. water (323g) (38%)
4.1 oz. NaOH (116g) (5%) <<<
In general, I use the Default Settings in SoapCalc the first time I formulate a combo I've never made before and tweak from there if necessary. :thumbs: ;)
I have very sensitive skin and soaps high in coconut, and from what I can tell olive oddly enough bother me.
I have very sensitive skin too! Like so many others, it's the reason I learned to make soap. You are not alone in having an aversion to high coconut and olive oil. Both, however, are mainstays of many formulas.

Before you dismiss olive oil all together, you might want to try making ZNSC. It truly is amazing for those of us with sensitive skin.
As someone recently wrote:
I absolutely love your no slime castile. You made a believer out of me who totally hated Olive oil heavy soaps.
As for coconut, I use 10% - 15% along with 5% castor (conditioning and boosts lather) for ZNSC and lard soaps.

You can also try subbing PKO for coconut in most recipes. Since you seem to like keeping things simple, try Zany's Palm Olive made with PKO and sub RBO for the olive if you like. If you have more shea butter to use up, you can sub that for all or part of the palm oil in the recipe. Just be sure to run it through a calcullator before soaping. :)

OR to get the elegant feel of a palm-based soap 20% PKO & 80% Palm:

PKO & PALM.png

I haven't tried making this yet, but I like the SAT/UNSAT balance and the Soap Bar Quality Values across the board. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Back