High Shea Butter experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
Here is my latest batch. Trying to get rid of some Shea Butter because I bought too much for just being a hobbyist. This is 70% Shea, 25% Coconut Oil and 5% Castor. Aloe Vera juice as full water replacement. 10% Suoerfat which in hindsight I am thinking was not necessary. Micas are Flashdance and Lettuce Entertain you. FO is Cool Tropical Breeze from Lone Star Candle. 6F1F7AA4-B35D-4564-95F4-A631177E3DEB.jpeg

70% Shea, 25% Coconut Oil and 5% Castor.
I had some raw shea butter I needed to use up and did about the same ratio last September. It's one of my favorite bars. I think you will love it! :videovisit:

ETA: I posted at the same time as @cmzaha. I used 5% SF and full water (38%) as is my preference. It will be interesting to compare how well you like your bar with the high SF in a few months. 🤔

Last edited:
I had some raw shea butter I needed to use up and did about the same ratio last September. It's one of my favorite bars. I think you will love it! :videovisit:

ETA: I posted at the same time as @cmzaha. I used 5% SF and full water (38%) as is my preference. It will be interesting to compare how well you like your bar with the high SF in a few months. 🤔
I used 40% Lye concentration. I thought because of the high coconut oil I would need the superfat at the 10% but afterwards I realized with so much Shea it probably wasn’t necessary. Only a 1.25lb batch so no harm no foul.

just used a bar from this high shea recipe i made in February. First time I am able to really notice a difference between bars of soap. This high shea bar had very little amount of bubbles and it takes a little while to get a good lather going but I really loved the skin feel while using it. Very smooth on the skin, not greasy feeling at all and really loved how it felt when rinsing it off. Didn’t add anything for this recipe except AVJ as water replacement and my usual sugar to lye solution. Think next time i might add honey or agave nectar to try and up the bubbles or maybe just leave it alone. Feel like it would be a good bar to use in the winter for dry skin issues.

Think next time i might add honey or agave nectar to try and up the bubbles or maybe just leave it alone. Feel like it would be a good bar to use in the winter for dry skin issues.
I bought some agave nectar to make my daughter some dairy free ice cream and never used it... Do you use the same amount as honey? I should use it up & never thought of using it in soap!

I've used both agave and molasses in the same amounts as sugar. Agave worked fine - molasses was a major heater, so soap cool if you try it. Both made nice bubbles, similar to granulated sugar or honey.

Another "sugar" to consider is sorbitol. I have been using it at 1% of oils and absolutely love the abundance and feel of the lather. It is also a humectant, and not that expensive if you get it on Amazon rather than the soap supply placed.

just used a bar from this high shea recipe i made in February. First time I am able to really notice a difference between bars of soap. This high shea bar had very little amount of bubbles and it takes a little while to get a good lather going but I really loved the skin feel while using it. Very smooth on the skin, not greasy feeling at all and really loved how it felt when rinsing it off. Didn’t add anything for this recipe except AVJ as water replacement and my usual sugar to lye solution. Think next time i might add honey or agave nectar to try and up the bubbles or maybe just leave it alone. Feel like it would be a good bar to use in the winter for dry skin issues.
I should probably get cracking for winter then.

Latest posts

Back