High palm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this recipe? DOS potential? Stearic spots potential? Or any other foreseeable problems?

5% superfat
2 tbsps powdered sugar
2 tsp sodium lactate
16 grams sodium citrate

Screenshot_20210516-184726_saponiCalc.jpg
Screenshot_20210516-184747_saponiCalc.jpg
Screenshot_20210516-184754_saponiCalc.jpg

Last edited:
It's a decent recipe!

Stearic spots are most probably only an issue if you don't melt up the palm and shea until clarity, and soap on at no more than room temperature, and don't CPOP. Either point easily avoidable (unless your design conceptions want you to prevent gel).

Where do you get high-oleic canola oil from? I haven't seen any place where to buy yet. If it's really high-oleic (poly-unsaturated fatty acids ≤15%), then you are fine with DOS/rancidity IMHO (but ROE won't hurt anyway). But even if it is regular canola (poly-unsaturated fatty acids ≥25%), chances of rancidity aren't alarming (freshness of all ingredients assumed).

Why do you call it “high palm”? It has 30% palm oil, which is lower than basic trinity recipes.

My personal opinion is that the shea butter is kind of redundant, it doesn't replace the palm hardness for which it is added to many palm-free recipes, and you will hardly notice any difference from 5% anyway. Similarly, the 10% castor won't hurt, but its effect is pronounced already at 5%. Many end users with sensitive skin would consider 25% coconut as close to (or even above) the upper limit of lauric oils, you might scrape off another 5%. Et voilà, 15% additional volume to add to the palm oil to get a recipe that deserves its signature name. (Clarification: I don't expect you to actually do these changes, I'm just notorious in maxing out/exaggerating things; a “high palm” soap off my hand would have at least two thrids palm in it.)

Thanks for the response and offering your insight! I probably should have named it something different since palm isn't more than 30% but that's how I have it listed in my notebooks (compared to other recipes) to keep everything straight on my end.

The recipe as is bubbles really nicely and lasts relatively long for me as someone who usually soaps up twice a day with a washcloth so I imagine with a palm increase it would last even longer. The coconut oil is a tad high so I think at least a 5% decrease would be beneficial. It doesn't dry me out from what I can notice but I do use lotion 2× daily. Should not lotion one leg for a week and see if I see any dryness lol there is more squeak than I like.

Where do you get high-oleic canola oil from?

I got my HO canola from brambleberry.com the site is okay since it has a lot of options but shipping wait times are long (for me on the east coast) usually a three week wait time.

I put your suggestions into soap cal and here's the updated stats.
Screenshot_20210525-094053_saponiCalc.jpg
Screenshot_20210525-094058_saponiCalc.jpg
Screenshot_20210525-094102_saponiCalc.jpg

I'm getting into the recipe! 😲😀

As already said, the old recipe is sound too, and your modification is not a clear improvement (particularly if your skin is “robust” against elevated CO/cleansing numbers). Your changes upped the Palmitic+Stearic by another 5%, that might make lather development a bit slower, but the bar longer lasting. If you remember in a few months, feel free to update on your observations!

And thanks for the heads-up with BB. Not too attractive for me across the pond, but it's a fine thing that at least US soapers have easy access to HO canola.

Back