High Oleic-Mid Oleic Sunflower Interchangeable?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bittersweet

Reaction score
Hello all. My recipe calls for sunflower oil and I have been using HO sf oil but I found a mid-oleic sf oil locally. Do you think these could be used interchangeably without changing the soap? Anyone know if there is a big difference between a high and a mid?

The difference between mid and high is generally the % of oleic acid (monounsaturated) versus the % of linoleic and linolenic acids (polyunsaturated). One soaper I know of uses either one interchangeably. I think that's a reasonable thing to do, especially if mid is available locally for a reasonable price.

The difference between mid and high is generally the % of oleic acid (monounsaturated) versus the % of linoleic and linolenic acids (polyunsaturated). One soaper I know of uses either one interchangeably. I think that's a reasonable thing to do, especially if mid is available locally for a reasonable price.
Wonderful! Thank you! I read up on it and was thinking it would probably work but I wanted to hear what others thought before I used the mid!

I think if you were using other oils high in polyunsaturated fatty acids, I might lean toward the high oleic oil. But if you're comfortable with the overall fatty acid profile of your recipe, I'd say high versus mid is not a big deal -- whichever one is easiest and cheapest.

I am the one the uses Mid or High Oleic Sunflower Oil but I personally prefer the Mid Oleic because I do not like high oleic soaps. The Mid Oleic Sunflower Oil I purchase is approx 60% Oleic which is slightly less than OO. I dislike Olive Oil in soap, I also disliked 100% Sunflower whether High or Mid Oleic as a bar soap.

Thank you for the comments! I appreciate your opinions!! I am going to go with the mid, saves on the shipping costs. 🤗

Back