High Coconut Oil Content and Superfat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pims

Reaction score
I sometimes see ingredient lists from reputable soap makers where coconut oil is the first ingredient followed by olive oil and/or rice bran oil and palm oil. I would have thought that coconut oil as the first ingredient in any soap would mean that the bar would be very drying. But these soaps are quite mild. I have to assume they have a high superfat content.

The subject of whether high superfatting leads to reduced shelf life/DOS seems to be a controversial subject.

Does anyone make gentle but good lathering soap with a lot of coconut oil and if so, how high do you superfat? Is shelf life compromised?

I find CO to be very drying for my skin. So most of my soap recipes are high in OO & low in CO, but I add castor at 5% and I get tons of lather even with my hard water.

You can always sub out CO for PKO. Same properties but milder. I have bars that I made with no CO that I can't wait to try.

I don't see a whole lot of difference between CO and PKO personally but for those with a sensitivity or allergy to coconut, it's a great substitute.

Kevin Dunn (Scientific Soapmaking) has determined that superfat % does not have a bearing on DOS. According to him, your mix of fatty acids has a greater effect on rancidity.

A lot of people do 100% coconut oil soap with a 20% superfat.

Personally, I keep it at 25-30% and SF at 8-10%. My husband likes a more cleansing bar and I like a more conditioning one. This is a nice compromise so I don't have to make separate his and her's soaps.

Latest posts

Back