"Hiding" fragrances that discolor in multi-color soaps...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luluzapcat

Reaction score
Does anyone do that?

I bought some really lovely FOs I couldn't resist, even though they are noted as causing discoloration, such as to tan. I got the idea of perhaps only adding the fragrance to the darker of the colors in a swirled soap. Is there any reason not to do this? Such as...might the discoloration "bleed" into the edges between the colors somehow? Or would a higher concentration of fragrance in an area of the soap threaten to cause skin irritation or something? Maybe if I try this out I will reduce to total fragrance amount to match the proportion of the soap it goes into. I know I'll get a lighter fragrance, but seems low-risk as far as affecting the soap's other properties.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts?

I've done that with a FO that discolors very dark brown. I separated out some to leave unscented and colored it white. I swirled this into the scented part, it looked nice once it completely discolored.

It did bleed but it wasn't much and took many months.

I use many discoloring FO's Dragon's Blood being my favorite. I separate out batter for swirls that I do not add fragrance, the remaining batter I pour the full amount of fragrance in. For very dark discoloring fo's I find bright purple, teal's oranges, reds, golds, bright green and blue micas will show up as swirls. You can also use varying amounts of fragrance if you want different levels of darkening. There is really a lot you can do with discoloring fragrance oils.

I do the same as the others. I’ll add the discoloring fragrance to part of the soap and leave the rest unscented and color that portion. My favorite pink sugar and dragons blood are two of them.

Thanks everyone! this is great to hear, if slightly dangerous (to my wallet). Now I can go on a real fragrance-sampling spree!

Does anyone do that?

I bought some really lovely FOs I couldn't resist, even though they are noted as causing discoloration, such as to tan. I got the idea of perhaps only adding the fragrance to the darker of the colors in a swirled soap. Is there any reason not to do this? Such as...might the discoloration "bleed" into the edges between the colors somehow? Or would a higher concentration of fragrance in an area of the soap threaten to cause skin irritation or something? Maybe if I try this out I will reduce to total fragrance amount to match the proportion of the soap it goes into. I know I'll get a lighter fragrance, but seems low-risk as far as affecting the soap's other properties.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts?
I am a fan of embrace the brown! I do use micas but sometimes just embracing the brown is cool too. I attached 3 photos of the same batch when I left part if the batter I FO free.

Attachments

• 71652104-B78B-4D4F-B4BE-7BBB1D911EB9.jpeg
    71652104-B78B-4D4F-B4BE-7BBB1D911EB9.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 8CBC503E-AB83-462D-92CF-8D4BBE562E6A.jpeg
    8CBC503E-AB83-462D-92CF-8D4BBE562E6A.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 4CAEA11B-740D-49D0-9FF7-2C51D77B86EB.jpeg
    4CAEA11B-740D-49D0-9FF7-2C51D77B86EB.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back