Hide me from my In-Laws

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derpina Bubbles

Reaction score
Help! Help! I'm being repressed! I've lost control of the TV remote. My every calorie is being counted. The house has been inspected (I fail by default). I was given 23 soaps as a gift when they arrived :confused:. Seriously :Kitten Love:. Is it a hint that my soaps suck? Are they examples of what soaps should be? Arrgghh!

I'm hiding in my office doing "paperwork". This excuse won't play for long. Anyone got something for my next move? All I can think of is faking an upset stomach and hanging out in the bathroom, with my 23 new soaps.

If I don't think of something quick I'll be doomed to play the weird card game they have set up at my dining table while my MIL calls out "Here ***** ***** *****" every 5 mins to my cat because she wants to pat him. Hot Saturday night. Woooooo.

Oh how this made me chuckle, it sounds like something my actual mother would do, my husbands parents are remarkably laid back and relaxed. I hate to think what poor poor husband feels when my parents 'invade' our house. I've given up on cleaning it to her standards now, I know something will be wrong whatever I do so I am resigned to my fate!

They mean well. Serve up some spray cheese on crackers with a bowl of imitation bacon bits on the side for the card game snack. :mrgreen:

Cheese in a can and fake bacon. Freaky. I had to Google spray cheese lol. It's a whole new world. They mean well? You haven't been introduced. Evil I tells ya.

Oh how this made me chuckle, it sounds like something my actual mother would do, my husbands parents are remarkably laid back and relaxed. I hate to think what poor poor husband feels when my parents 'invade' our house. I've given up on cleaning it to her standards now, I know something will be wrong whatever I do so I am resigned to my fate!

Hehe now you mention it, my Dad is the Father-In-Law from hell. Seems fair lol.

*I've sacrificed the children. They are playing cards as my proxy. Mwhahahahahaha.

She gave you soaps?!? Man, that's rude!

My ex-(YAY!)-MIL used to come into our home and remove furniture and inventory. She would say: "Those lamps don't fit in with the rest of the decor" or "those candlesticks aren't really your taste" and she would just grab the stuff and take them with her! Anything that wasn't nailed down, was in danger of being "re-homed" at her house. I was too young to dare say anything to her, she was a right b**** in oh so many ways, but if anyone did that today? Heaven help them.

Today, I feel so sorry for her new DIL, because I know she must be living a dark and lampless life somewhere out there. That poor thing. :(

She gave you soaps?!? Man, that's rude! (

I have known people who think that because you make bath and body products, you must really love them, and they'd be good gifts. They don't stop to think that you probably have a whole houseful, since you make them. lol

They think, Oh, She likes soap!

Ouch Tienne, she sounded worse than mine. Best shot so far this stay other than the soaps at me was her entry shot to my Hubby. She walked in and asked him if he was still losing weight. He said no and she looked him up and down and just said "Shame", and kept walking passed. He just stood there blinking. Well hello to you too! His face was priceless.

I have known people who think that because you make bath and body products, you must really love them, and they'd be good gifts. They don't stop to think that you probably have a whole houseful, since you make them. lol

They think, Oh, She likes soap!

Hm true. I do buy soap still when I see cute ones. I'm a soap junky. I think the 23 at once was...odd.

OMG maybe I have this all wrong and she's just trying to tell me I stink.

Take a deep breath and try to be nice. If the roles were reversed how would you want your husband to behave? I bet you would not be happy if he misbehaved towards your folks. Talk to him about what is upsetting but be nice to his parents. Bite the bullet. Take a shot of tequila. Or two. They are only there for a little while. Soon they will leave and all will be well.

Giving you soaps may just be their way of caring. I have an aunt that collects and gives me soaps of every shape, scent and size she can find. Her explanation is that she wants me to see how others made soaps that sells and maybe I will learn or think of something new. "This one has a stamp" "this one has glitter" "this one is a rose"

Thank you for the morning laugh! My in-laws were terrible when my husband and I first married. In fact, they disowned us because I'm white :) :) Even after we were brought back together my MIL was a bear. Fast forward 20 years and now we love each other very much (lots of forgiveness and grand kids and Jack Daniels). I'm going to have to remember to watch it when my kids marry :) :) Hang in there!
Cheers! ( seriously!)
Anna Marie

I'm going to have to remember to watch it when my kids marry :) :) Hang in there!
Cheers! ( seriously!)
Anna Marie

This! My MIL has her personality quirks, but she means well. However HER MIL was evil. She made me cry on my honeymoon evil. And thats exactly why my MIL is good. She learned how NOT to be a MIL from the best.

Today, I feel so sorry for her new DIL, because I know she must be living a dark and lampless life somewhere out there. That poor thing. :(

Bwahahaha too funny.
Derpina, pray, pray pray is all you can do. And keep laughing through it like you are. My parents are the ones that i have to set straight alot, its like "Everybody Loves Raymond" around here when they come to visit. On the things that really add stress to me i have to kindly set them straight, and they are good enough to heed. My husband and i are very quiet, my parents are like two jack russels in a box. I know what JRT's are like, i have one!!! the human form is all the more a handful!!! :) No, I adore my parents, they are a blessing to me, and have worked their fingers to the bone to provide the life i had. They are still so willing to give and do. But, they truly are like JRT's in a box and sometimes i cant help but want to close the box and put a "Do not open till Christmas" sticker on it!! good luck, keep praying and laughing!
P.S. i also lose control of the remote when they come........:silent:

oh, and i forgot what i originally logged on to say- maybe keep one or two of the 23 soaps (to pull out when the MIL comes again), and donate the rest to your local retirement center? im sure they would appreciate them.

My sister did the same thing when I started making soap to sell. I initially also thought it was very odd.

She just wanted me to have an idea of how other handcrafted soaps looked, felt, and were priced (she left the prices for that reason). Unfortunately I only cared for one of the chosen scents, but I tried each of the soaps just once to get the feel. It was a good exercise, similar but not as fun as a soap swap. I did not care for most of them and really only enjoyed using one (it was not 23, more like 7-8). However, I learned something and appreciated the gesture. She later gave me a soap after I had been making soap a long time and I did not use it because I could not tolerate the scent. She meant well though.

If you have been making soap a long time and have tried all sorts of ingredients, then just donate them to a shelter? However, if you are fairly new, or were curious about how an ingredient feels in soap, you might learn some information and use it in your soap making.

Latest posts

Back