Hibiscus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wessam

Reaction score
I was trying to simmer dried hibiscus leaves in olive oil for more than an hournow but so far i did not get any color!!! how can i color my soap using hibiscus??

Or is the question just "CAN I add colour to my soap using hibiscus?"?

That, I do not know

Some people and ites say hibisuccs is used to add purple color... but i have no clue how to use it correctly! last time i used hibiscus tea for the lye solution but it turned brown. i onderwhich is the correct way to use hibisucs to get my soap colored

Hibiscus turns brown in CP and HP because of the high alkalinity. I tried to use hibiscus flower powder in one of my first soaps

Some things can not be infused in oil. For those you need to infuse them in water. Try boiling your hibiscus in water, you will get the color, however I can't say the color in finished soap as I've never used it.

Some things can not be infused in oil. For those you need to infuse them in water. Try boiling your hibiscus in water, you will get the color, however I can't say the color in finished soap as I've never used it.

I did so once before and it turned brown as usual!

so finally i strained as much as i can from the hibiscus and get it out of the oil (some fine particles remained... i did not care then :-? ) and then i added carrot puree instead..... :cry: :cry:

Other than calendula/marigold petals, almost all botanicals will turn brown in soap, even in MP.

Can we consider paprika beeing a botanical? If so, we have another example of botanical which is not turning brown in soap.

Try if your water is 350 grams then use 250grams water and 100grams of hibiscus tea and add the tea after light trace, I am not if the colour will still turn brown but I think it worth of try.

What about parsley? I get a beautiful green from the dried kind that I get at the Mexican supermarket (it is the brightest green that I have ever seen)

I have tried hibiscus and it does not work. I ground it up into a powder and had a bunch of black specs in my soap

What about parsley? I get a beautiful green from the dried kind that I get at the Mexican supermarket (it is the brightest green that I have ever seen)

I have tried hibiscus and it does not work. I ground it up into a powder and had a bunch of black specs in my soap

Thanx for the advice... can you tell me which is the best way to use parsley? oils are expensive and don't want to keep losing in try and errors :D

Try if your water is 350 grams then use 250grams water and 100grams of hibiscus tea and add the tea after light trace, I am not if the colour will still turn brown but I think it worth of try.

can anyone confirm if this would work or not? Thanx

Adding at trace will only help keep some of the heat away - but obviously any heat from the saponification will still affect it. You are adding the tea to the lye anyway - a bit more spread out, but both will be distributed through out the batter so lye and tea will be reacting no matter what you do.

So to cut short for myself only natural colorants foor CP are:
coco milk = white
papricak = Orange
Carrot = yellow !
(indigo is not that much available in my country)

Back