Hi

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemonaki

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I started making CP last year after two years of reading and practicing!
I have made my first milk soap two weeks ago.
Replaced lye with 100% coconut milk. Freezed for 4 hours, refrigerated for 20 hours. Brought to room temperature for the next 24 hours.
After cutting, the next day it has started changing colour and I was wondering if this is DOS or just curing...
My oils are not off, I cure always using a dehumidifier and I place a clean cotton cloth above and under my soaps. Never had this before.
I wonder if it is the milk changing the colour of the soap. Was white and green ( green clay) before.
Now it is beige and green-beige with darker lines of brown.

I would appreciate any feedback

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Hi, and welcome to SMF! The discoloration shown in the pictures is not DOS, which start as small orange-ish patches that gradually spread. It looks like you used a fragrance oil (FO) with vanillin in it. Those FOSs are the most common cause of that quick browning during the cure. The more vanillin, the darker it will get. So, did you use an FO, and if so, which one? 😊

In the future, for us to give you the best possible answer, we need you to post your entire recipe and process, with all ingredients, including every additive, and temperatures of the oils and lye, if you know them. Tell us whether you put it on a heating pad or in the oven, etc.

Sometimes people feel worried about giving up their special recipe to the public, or embarrassed bc they don’t know if their recipe is any good. Don’t worry about that - most of us have our own favorite recipes, and we just want to help. But we can’t do that well, without knowing everything that went into your soap creation. 😊

Thank you so much for your kind answer! I am already relieved!!!!
I have no problem giving the recipe...
Olive Oil 20%
Almond Oil 25%
Coconut Oil 20%
Organic Palm Oil 25%
Shea Butter 7%
Cocoa Butter 3%
Coconut milk frozen ice cubes full water replacement.
6% Super Fat
Lime essential oil 1%
Coconut essential oil 1%
green clay
I mixed at 30 celcius - 86 F
I didn't gel for the first time also.
Maybe the coconut essential oil then??

Thank you so much

Maybe I figured it out! It is the coconut milk's ingredients:
INGREDIENTS
Water, Coconut milk (5.3%) (Coconut cream, Water), Rice (3.3%), Calcium (Tri-calcium phosphate), Stabilisers (Guar gum, Gellan gum, Xanthan gum), Sea salt, Flavourings, Vitamins (B12, D2).

https://www.alpro.com/uk/products/drinks/coconut-drinks/coconut-original/
What do you think?

Sorry, I missed your previous post where you did provide all ingredients (thank you!), so I am modifying my answer.

Yes, it’s possible that the “flavoring” included vanillin, which does cause browning. It’s also likely that the coconut “essential oil“ is the problem, because there really is no such thing that has any coconut smell to it. If what they are calling coconut essential oil has any coconut smell, it is probably some sort of fragrance oil that contains vanillin.

Last edited:
I usually leave my milk soap in the freezer for two or three days to prevent change of color. With less time, you can get partial to full gel after taking them out of the cold.

I usually leave my milk soap in the freezer for two or three days to prevent change of color. With less time, you can get partial to full gel after taking them out of the cold.
I will try it also!
Thank you

This is where I got it from:

Coconut Essential Oil - HerbStore - Βότανα, Φυτικά προϊόντα υγείας

Buy Coconut Essential Oil , Flavor Oils are suitable for use in lip balms and all "edible cosmetics", as they are laboratory tested and hypoallergenic. They are also used extensively in confectionery, as an ingredient in beverages, ice creams, candies, jams etc. as flavor enhancers. Coconut oil...
www.herbstore.gr
Looks like you found one of the few authentic coconut EOs out there - great job! Most of what is advertised as CO-EO is adulterated with vanillin, which would cause your soap to brown. But since the ingredient list for your CO-EO is 100% CO, that should not have caused any color change. I agree with you it was probably the "flavoring" in the coconut milk.

Can you find coconut milk powder instead of liquid coconut milk? That often has fewer ingredients, and usually no flavorings. Or at least, that is how it is sold in the US.

Real coconut milk made from coconut flesh will add additional fat. There are some good threads here about how to estimate that. :)

Looks like you found one of the few authentic coconut EOs out there - great job! Most of what is advertised as CO-EO is adulterated with vanillin, which would cause your soap to brown. But since the ingredient list for your CO-EO is 100% CO, that should not have caused any color change. I agree with you it was probably the "flavoring" in the coconut milk.

Can you find coconut milk powder instead of liquid coconut milk? That often has fewer ingredients, and usually no flavorings. Or at least, that is how it is sold in the US.

Real coconut milk made from coconut flesh will add additional fat. There are some good threads here about how to estimate that. :)
Thank you so much for all your help!:)
It really felt nice to replace water with milk but it seems like I have to go into powdered milk in order to get the desired colors.

Do you gel when using powdered milk? I know that after gel the colors are more vibrant but I really want to avoid scorched milk or volcano eruptions... :)

I also use powdered milk, and I stickblend it right into my oils. No scorching or volcano/expansion problems, even if I gel. But you can rehydrate it and freeze it if like @Ford suggested if you'd like to go that route.

Latest posts

Back