Hi!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

draigensmail

Reaction score
I’m Julie and I happened upon here looking for information about storing lye.😀 I am still new in the soap making world, I have made some laundry soap bars a few times now, and am now venturing into body soaps. So much stuff to play with!! Even my youngest, who is 15, wants to open up a soap business so he can make some money, lol. I look forward to learning more from everybody here.

Welcome Julie.

I currently get my Sodium Hydroxide in 1 gallon/8 lb HDPE containers and store my Master Batch ready-to-use Lye Solution in 1 gallon HDPE jugs.

I usually store my Sodium Hydroxide in the garage. I make sure the lid and lip of the container is clean and the lid is tightly sealed after using it. My Lye Solution is stored in the back of my soap cart (aka rolling kitchen island) and I make sure the cap and lip of the jug is clean and cap is tightly sealed after using it.

Carbon Dioxide is Sodium Hydroxide's worst enemy. When NaOH is exposed to it, it will form Sodium Carbonate and solidify and lose it's strength.

Latest posts

Back