Hi, Trying to say hello again, the right way

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CookbookChef

Reaction score
Hello, I am not sure if I said my Hello to everyone in the right spot, or if I did it wrong or what. I was in hopes of meeting some of you and didnt get a single reply, so, I figure I must of posted wrong. Ok, here I go.
I am here to learn EVERYTHING to learn about Soap. I want to make Bar Soap, I call that hard soap, and I want to make body wash, shampoo, dish soap, I call that soft soap. I am here because it is the passion of my family to stop using so many chemicals, and start using what is natural. We already make MOST food items by scratch, so, its should not be too much of a leap to start making Soap homemade. We love cooking, and now we will love cooking SOAP...lol. We hope to someday sell our soap. We already sell many types of candy, and now we are branching out. I am disabled, so it takes MORE for me to do anything. My Husband does the cooking per my instructions, and we hope to do the same here with soap. we LOVE being together and creating, so this will be FUN.We are NOT going to announce our Store Name as Being Honest, I am embarrassed that I dont know anything about soap making, I feel like I should. We are just going to be HUmble AND learn learn learn. SMILES, CookbookChef

Welcome!

The terms that you'll find most often here are Soap and Liquid Soap. It's generally clear from what people are talking about which one they mean - especially as one forum is for soap and the other for liquid soaps! Make sure that when you are looking for information that you put the thread in the right forum - I don't make liquid soap yet so I very rarely go in to the Liquid Soap section. When you talk about a hard soap or a soft soap, people will think that you mean a bar that is like a brick, or that is a slightly squishy bar - it will just get confusing for all involved, I am sure. It will also make it easier when you come to look at selling - if people are used to buying liquid soap, they might well be confused by someone offering "soft soap".

One of the nicest things about making soap at home is knowing what is going in to it. I can fully understand your excitement about making soap with this in mind :)

Hello CookbookChef - I agree with Efficacious - knowing exactly what goes into the soap is a great benefit. I started several years ago because far too many hours in the sun had a horrible affect on my skin, and I tried everything OTC to try and undo the damage. It was only through the use of EOs and natural ingredients that I was able to correct some of the damage. It became an interesting hobby for me, and then friends and family demanded it. A small business has grown as a result.

I really thought I would get bored with it, but there are so many varied aspects to making soaps and lotions, that I find, as many are here, I am addicted. I found this site not long ago, and just going through the threads has increased my knowledge and interest. ENJOY!

Hi, and Welcome!

Before you soap, you research!

First- you need to read lots and lots. Read everything you can about making hard(bar) soap. Learn the lingo. Learn the abbreviations. Watch lots of videos on YouTube. Buy your equipment and supplies. Make a batch of CP-cold process. Figure out what you did right or wrong. Make more. Get completely comfortable with making bar soap. This should take at least 6 months.

Second-You make HP soap. You make lots and lots. Get completely comfortable with that process.

Third- Then, and only then, do you venture into liquid soapmaking. Why? Because you need the experience of making CP and HP to have a clue on how to proceed with liquid soap.

Last- You need at least a year of having your hands in soapmaking before even considering selling your soap.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Please read the info on the linked blog before deciding all chemicals are bad. After all, a chemical reaction occurs when you combine the ingredients for soap. Susan is very knowledgeable and I hope you find her information interesting and enlightening.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/search?q=chemicals+and+bad

Welcome to the forum. This is a great forum filled with many knowledgeable people from just about every discipline of the bath and body genre. I want to echo what was already said in that you need to do a lot of research and learn as much as you can. I researched for months before I ever made my first batch of cold process soap. I have been making soap as a hobby for quite a long while now and am just now only starting to sell my soap. I am very comfortable with cold process soap making but even so I still have much to learn and I find this forum a wonderful resource to obtain knowledge and sharpen my skills. It is also a wonderful springboard to bounce ideas off other experienced soap makers and get feedback on the products you make. You will not find a friendlier, more helpful group of people on any other forum online. This forum is overwhelmingly positive and I've yet to see a single troll in here, lol. As others have said, soap making becomes like an addiction for many of us, especially those of us who are both right and left brain thinkers because it is a perfect mix of art and science. I hope you enjoy your foray into soap making and turn out many years worth of wonderful products. When you do make your first batch of soap be sure to post pictures in the photo gallery so we can all see your creation. I know for me personally I love to see what others are making and it often gets the creative juices flowing and inspires me to constantly try new techniques, fragrances, and colors.

Welcome CB Chef! If you're experienced in baking, soap making will be a natural fit. Making hand-made, cold processed soap is very similar. You must weigh each measurement EXACTLY just as baking a cake. As they say "cooking is art, baking is chemisty". That's soaping. Good luck in your journey and keep us posted. Soaping is definitely an addiction!

Hello and welcome! I liked KristaY's comment about if you're experienced in baking, soaping will be a natural fit. I think you will find it comes easily. However, I also agree with the other people who mentioned researching. It will be helpful to learn about oils used in soapmaking because saponification can alter the properties. For example, coconut oil is emollient (tactful word for greasy); but it is drying after saponification. Castor oil is a "dry" oil but becomes very conditioning after saponification. You want to know what benefits oils give to the soap so you can formulate your own recipes.

Also, I agree with lsg that not all chemicals are bad. (I'm in an agreeable mood today. :lol:) I don't have a problem with many chemicals used in cosmetics and bath and body products. I've just found my skin is less dried out from using my own soap. Plus it's fun to play with colorants and use different fragrances. I also like making my own lotions because I can choose what oils I want.

Hello and welcome to the forum! Beautiful cupcake! :)

My name is Jaclyn, and I am passionate about skin products and aesthetics. In high school I used to work in bath and scent shop, so I became obsessed with perfume making and soap making. I am a registered nurse now and in school working towards becoming a nurse practitioner. I would like to one day open a medical spa specializing in skin care, lasers, etc... and some how incorporate my soap business.

I currently make soap for friends and family. I love it! There are some incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and wonderful people on this site. Who go out of there way to help.

You will love the journey and we are here to help!

Welcome to the forum. I've only recently started making soap myself and can't believe how addictive it is. I love the fact I'm putting less chemicals on mine and the families skin. We no longer have itchy skin, which is amazing. I've even began to making creams and lotions and find they are so much better than any of the expensive creams I've bought in the past. There's so much too learn and this forum has been a great help and source of inspiration. The only trouble is that my list of things to make just keeps growing longer and longer! Good luck with your own soaping journey and welcome to the addiction!

Welcome! I won't reiterate what has been said, as a newer soaper myself I would encourage you to use the search function and read as much as you can in this forum. It is how I got rolling and there is no stopping now. :)

As others have said, it's a good idea to read, read, read all that you can. Many of us read about soapmaking for a long time before ever making a batch. There are books and websites and also videos where you can watch the process. Here are a few to get you started.

Some websites.....
http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b...e-beginners-guide-to-soapmaking-cold-process/

http://www.millersoap.com/

http://www.soaping101.com/

And a couple of books. The one by Anne Watson is the one I used to make my first batch.
Smart Soapmaking by Anne Watson

The Everything Soapmaking Book by Alicia Grosso

Good luck to you!

Hello and welcome to the forum! Beautiful cupcake!

My name is Jaclyn, and I am passionate about skin products and aesthetics. In high school I used to work in bath and scent shop, so I became obsessed with perfume making and soap making. I am a registered nurse now and in school working towards becoming a nurse practitioner. I would like to one day open a medical spa specializing in skin care, lasers, etc... and some how incorporate my soap business.

I currently make soap for friends and family. I love it! There are some incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and wonderful people on this site. Who go out of there way to help.

You will love the journey and we are here to help!

Thanks, Your Cupcake is EYE CANDY, Mine is not a cupcake, but is a cup of whipped sugar scrub. I know its not soap, I just wanted to show that I know SOME things in the area of FUN skin care. Ok, well thanks for the WARM hello, I like it here already

As others have said, it's a good idea to read, read, read all that you can. Many of us read about soapmaking for a long time before ever making a batch. There are books and websites and also videos where you can watch the process. Here are a few to get you started.

Some websites.....
http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b...e-beginners-guide-to-soapmaking-cold-process/

http://www.millersoap.com/

http://www.soaping101.com/

And a couple of books. The one by Anne Watson is the one I used to make my first batch.
Smart Soapmaking by Anne Watson

The Everything Soapmaking Book by Alicia Grosso

Good luck to you!

now that is some information I CAN USE!! Actually, ALL this information, not just the links, but everything that everyone has said to me is super valuable information. Thanks SO MUCH

Welcome! I won't reiterate what has been said, as a newer soaper myself I would encourage you to use the search function and read as much as you can in this forum. It is how I got rolling and there is no stopping now.

Very Kind of You Indeed, Thank you for the warm welcome!!

Welcome!

The terms that you'll find most often here are Soap and Liquid Soap. It's generally clear from what people are talking about which one they mean - especially as one forum is for soap and the other for liquid soaps! Make sure that when you are looking for information that you put the thread in the right forum - I don't make liquid soap yet so I very rarely go in to the Liquid Soap section. When you talk about a hard soap or a soft soap, people will think that you mean a bar that is like a brick, or that is a slightly squishy bar - it will just get confusing for all involved, I am sure. It will also make it easier when you come to look at selling - if people are used to buying liquid soap, they might well be confused by someone offering "soft soap".

One of the nicest things about making soap at home is knowing what is going in to it. I can fully understand your excitement about making soap with this in mind

I have alot to learn, thanks for your time and understanding and thanks for your welcome

Hello CookbookChef - I agree with Efficacious - knowing exactly what goes into the soap is a great benefit. I started several years ago because far too many hours in the sun had a horrible affect on my skin, and I tried everything OTC to try and undo the damage. It was only through the use of EOs and natural ingredients that I was able to correct some of the damage. It became an interesting hobby for me, and then friends and family demanded it. A small business has grown as a result.

I really thought I would get bored with it, but there are so many varied aspects to making soaps and lotions, that I find, as many are here, I am addicted. I found this site not long ago, and just going through the threads has increased my knowledge and interest. ENJOY!

your warm welcome is so nice to have, thanks, I am learning so much from ALL of you

Before you soap, you research!

First- you need to read lots and lots. Read everything you can about making hard(bar) soap. Learn the lingo. Learn the abbreviations. Watch lots of videos on YouTube. Buy your equipment and supplies. Make a batch of CP-cold process. Figure out what you did right or wrong. Make more. Get completely comfortable with making bar soap. This should take at least 6 months.

Second-You make HP soap. You make lots and lots. Get completely comfortable with that process.

Third- Then, and only then, do you venture into liquid soapmaking. Why? Because you need the experience of making CP and HP to have a clue on how to proceed with liquid soap.

Last- You need at least a year of having your hands in soapmaking before even considering selling your soap.

I see before I do ANYTHING I need to Learn, Learn, Learn!!! Thanks for the warm welcome and your words of Wisdom

Welcome to the forum. Please read the info on the linked blog before deciding all chemicals are bad. After all, a chemical reaction occurs when you combine the ingredients for soap. Susan is very knowledgeable and I hope you find her information interesting and enlightening.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/search?q=chemicals+and+bad

Yes, I DO need to learn more before making my mind up, THANKS for that is what I needed to hear!!!!!

Hello and welcome! I liked KristaY's comment about if you're experienced in baking, soaping will be a natural fit. I think you will find it comes easily. However, I also agree with the other people who mentioned researching. It will be helpful to learn about oils used in soapmaking because saponification can alter the properties. For example, coconut oil is emollient (tactful word for greasy); but it is drying after saponification. Castor oil is a "dry" oil but becomes very conditioning after saponification. You want to know what benefits oils give to the soap so you can formulate your own recipes.

Also, I agree with lsg that not all chemicals are bad. (I'm in an agreeable mood today. ) I don't have a problem with many chemicals used in cosmetics and bath and body products. I've just found my skin is less dried out from using my own soap. Plus it's fun to play with colorants and use different fragrances. I also like making my own lotions because I can choose what oils I want.
Nothing wrong with being agreeable at times, I like your words and I like your welcome! A great place to learn about everything soap minded, and the whole world of soap , even the parts I THOUGHT were bad, I might be finding out I have some new thinking in my brain, new is good, change is the hard part. I will be OK, thanks for the help

Welcome CB Chef! If you're experienced in baking, soap making will be a natural fit. Making hand-made, cold processed soap is very similar. You must weigh each measurement exactlyjust as baking a cake. As they say "cooking is art, baking is chemisty". That's soaping. Good luck in your journey and keep us posted. Soaping is definitely an addiction!

Thanks for the Warm Welcome, and yes, I see that I will love this place and it becoming part of my everyday life soon!!! Thanks again!:wave:

Welcome to the forum. This is a great forum filled with many knowledgeable people from just about every discipline of the bath and body genre. I want to echo what was already said in that you need to do a lot of research and learn as much as you can. I researched for months before I ever made my first batch of cold process soap. I have been making soap as a hobby for quite a long while now and am just now only starting to sell my soap. I am very comfortable with cold process soap making but even so I still have much to learn and I find this forum a wonderful resource to obtain knowledge and sharpen my skills. It is also a wonderful springboard to bounce ideas off other experienced soap makers and get feedback on the products you make. You will not find a friendlier, more helpful group of people on any other forum online. This forum is overwhelmingly positive and I've yet to see a single troll in here, lol. As others have said, soap making becomes like an addiction for many of us, especially those of us who are both right and left brain thinkers because it is a perfect mix of art and science. I hope you enjoy your foray into soap making and turn out many years worth of wonderful products. When you do make your first batch of soap be sure to post pictures in the photo gallery so we can all see your creation. I know for me personally I love to see what others are making and it often gets the creative juices flowing and inspires me to constantly try new techniques, fragrances, and colors.

ok, yes, I will try my best to post a pic. I THINK I wont be having any for a year or more. I have decided to LEARN from all of you, and read everything I can. I see that I know nothing, and even tho I COULD jump right in, it might be best to learn a few things first...get my nose into the books. I will be back to Participate down the road. So, for now, its learning time. Thanks to you and ALL that are helping me. Thanks again

Welcome to the forum. I've only recently started making soap myself and can't believe how addictive it is. I love the fact I'm putting less chemicals on mine and the families skin. We no longer have itchy skin, which is amazing. I've even began to making creams and lotions and find they are so much better than any of the expensive creams I've bought in the past. There's so much too learn and this forum has been a great help and source of inspiration. The only trouble is that my list of things to make just keeps growing longer and longer! Good luck with your own soaping journey and welcome to the addiction!

Thanks for your help, thanks for your welcome. I understand it takes your time to say HI to a newbie, well I appreciate your time

Latest posts

Back