Hi, My Name Is Shirley And...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Shirley and I'm a soapaholic...
No wait, that's my other group, sorry.
Hi my name is Shirley and I have been lurking for quite a while and making soap for about 5 minutes, but I'm already hooked. I have a million questions so I will show up in the beginner forum. Just to show you I'm not proud, here is a picture of my first soap (hanging head in shame). Totally my own fault, didn't use a lye calculator, but I know better now and I'm making progress one day at a time.
My first soap.JPG

Welcome, Shirley-D!

LOL...your first soap looks like it came out exactly like my first soap, i.e., lye heavy. To my horror, it shattered into brittle pieces upon cutting. It almost put me off of soapmaking forever, but thankfully, I eventually got back up on the proverbial horse, my attempts greatly improved, and I became hooked!

IrishLass :)

Welcome to soaping! I have thrown away more than my fair share over the past few years. Its depressing, but keep at it! You will soon be at the “I got it” stage. And even when you have it, sometimes you get that odd batch.

Post your recipe, maybe someone can figure out what went wrong.

Welcome! Yup, we've all had that soap. As noted above, it will probably make good laundry soap. All depends on whether you fall into the "find a way to fix or use every scrap of soap I make," OR "ain't nobody got no time fo dat, Ima chuck it" camp. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Irish Lass! You should have seen my second and third soaps--olive oil, slimier than a slug. Quite disgusting. It's a wonder I kept going. Haven't had soap on a stick yet :--) Had one really good batch so far, and friends that are willing guinea pigs.
Every one, thanks for the warm welcome.

Those first soaps are gone, didn't know enough to save them :--( Had not yet discovered this group.
Ford, I waited 24 hours to cut that shattered soap. It felt like broken glass.

Attachments

• My pink Soap.jpg
    My pink Soap.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 18
✨🧼Welcome🧼✨
Your pink 🧼, recent post, is quite lovely.✨
Also, I instantly fell in love with the simplicity of that tag for your friend Maureen. Seriously!!!🥰🥰🥰

Hi, my name is Shirley and I'm a soapaholic...
No wait, that's my other group, sorry.
Hi my name is Shirley and I have been lurking for quite a while and making soap for about 5 minutes, but I'm already hooked. I have a million questions so I will show up in the beginner forum. Just to show you I'm not proud, here is a picture of my first soap (hanging head in shame). Totally my own fault, didn't use a lye calculator, but I know better now and I'm making progress one day at a time.
View attachment 65279
Welcome Shirley! I made a twin loaf to yours with a recipe using Coconut Oil from Big Lots! I do not recommend it! 🤣 Having a sense of Humor will take you far, as a Soaper! I hope you enjoy this Forum as much as me! Blessings!

The tag... it's just a strip of pink paper, a black marking pen, and 1/8 inch black ribbon. I'm trying to stay away from plastic as much as possible. I discovered that people LOVE things that are personalized.
I am really enjoying this forum, the comradeship with great interesting people who want to help :--)
Just figured out how to add an avatar, that's my boy.

Latest posts

Back