Hi, my name is L and I have an addiction...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynusann

Reaction score
Or at least I used to.... :cool: now I'm just bored with them

Saddest part is that not a single one of the 217 of them has been burned or melted and there is jewelry in every one of them

20150729_071542-1.jpg

Relle they are candles. They have rings in them. It's a fad with candles right now (there's like a million companies that put jewelry in them at the moment).

Gigi most of the rings in them are just costume jewelry but some of them could have more expensive ones ($100-$5000) and i just haven't had the time to melt them all down yet... It got exhausting trying to keep up

Wow! That's some collection you have there lynusann.

I love a good jar candle myself and bought about 30 candles from Bath &body Works, but I told myself I need to use them before I buy more. I always have them burning in my house because they smell so nice. What was your intention while you were buying these? Why don't you use them?

Those look like fun! I wanted to get one myself but I know its silly since I can just make candles myself...

I like the jewelry mystery idea. You should start trying to melt some or maybe sell some of them of you don't want them anymore? Especially if there are some you don't like the scent of!

Last edited:
Wow! That's some collection you have there lynusann.

I love a good jar candle myself and bought about 30 candles from Bath &body Works, but I told myself I need to use them before I buy more. I always have them burning in my house because they smell so nice. What was your intention while you were buying these? Why don't you use them?

I got a great deal on them and I had intended to actually "melt" them, not burn them. And I was thinking I could use the jars (which I do for the ones I have actually melted down and ditched the wax on). Plus, it was a stupid fad I joined the crowd on.

Those look like fun! I wanted to get one myself but I know its silly since I can just make candles myself...

I like the jewelry mystery idea. You should start trying to melt some or maybe sell some of them of you don't want them anymore? Especially if there are some you don't like the scent of!

Yeah so this is where you're going to think I'm stupid lol - I have a wildly unhealthy fear of burning candles left in rooms out of sight. I will always snuff a candle out if I'm walking out of the room even for 10 seconds and know I'm coming right back. It was a pain. And buying warmers to melt them instead was expensive.

So now I have an insane candle collection that DH insists weighs so much that it's going to come crashing through the floor before long.

Funny enough, I can and do make my own candles. In one of the destashes I bought off of someone about a year ago I got 60 lbs of soy wax beads. Candle making just doesn't interest me enough to keep up with it. I was making wax tart melts for a while but they didn't sell well and now I have dozens of tarts sitting packaged and unsold.

I had considered melting them down, ditching the wax, using the rings for embeds in my own soaps and using the jars for my homemade laundry powder. It's just a LOT of wax to dispose of and cleaning the jars is a pain in the butt.

Last edited:
Lynn, rings in soap seems like kind of a great marketing device, I have never seen that before. If I were a seller I would do it using clear MP, though, you would be able to see them and the lye-melting problem would not be an issue. I probably would not be your target audience (all about the simple), but I bet there would be a good one.

ETA: you could do a whole proposal package! Ie; the proposer saying "here's a gift, honey" with the soap. And then whipping out the nice chunky *actual* diamond baguette after the initial "oohs and aahhs" about the soap! OK, maybe that is not a good idea, it might just be torture :)

Last edited:
Lynn, rings in soap seems like kind of a great marketing device, I have never seen that before. If I were a seller I would do it using clear MP, though, you would be able to see them and the lye-melting problem would not be an issue. I probably would not be your target audience (all about the simple), but I bet there would be a good one.

ETA: you could do a whole proposal package! Ie; the proposer saying "here's a gift, honey" with the soap. And then whipping out the nice chunky *actual* diamond baguette after the initial "oohs and aahhs" about the soap! OK, maybe that is not a good idea, it might just be torture :)

The thing about rings in soaps though is that impatient people can just break them open to get the ring and then they're done with it. With candles you have to actually burn the candle down to get to it because you have no idea where it is inside.

it is a good idea though haha. I've toyed with it but my other big problem is M&P. I am not good at M&P at all. I can make the most fabulous bar of CP soap but M&P gives me trouble. If I do crystal clear I get tons of bubbles in the bar that don't break up or disappear.

The other downside is I really really want to melt them down because there COULD be a $5000 ring in one of them...I already scored a $100 ring out of one of their candles (but it's just sooooooooo much work to melt them all)

Boil them. Do you have a canner? Put a bunch of them in your canner basket, fill the canner with water 1/2 or 3/4 up the jars and put it on a low heat. After 20 minutes, check on them. Keep another pot of water boiling to add to the canner due to evaporation. When the wax is melted, you can literally dig for gold. Then either dump the wax or let it harden again. If you don't have a canner, any large pot should work. Go for it. Let us know if you find the $5000 ring!

Boil them. Do you have a canner? Put a bunch of them in your canner basket, fill the canner with water 1/2 or 3/4 up the jars and put it on a low heat. After 20 minutes, check on them. Keep another pot of water boiling to add to the canner due to evaporation. When the wax is melted, you can literally dig for gold. Then either dump the wax or let it harden again. If you don't have a canner, any large pot should work. Go for it. Let us know if you find the $5000 ring!

So i've done something similar. I used to put about 5 of them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven for 15 min (soy wax has a VERY LOW melting point) and then I'd dig out rings. I have about 45 rings currently from candles I did melt down and "treasure hunt" in.

The biggest problem I have is what do I do with gallons upon gallons of melted wax? I can't dump it down the drain and it would fill up all of our can but would make a mess...

Back