Hi, I'm new.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldfinch

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I've been interested in soapmaking for a while now, but decided that this is my year to actually learn how, and finally make some soap.
Nice to meet you.
G

Welcome, we are glad you are here! We hope you will show us some pictures of your first soaps (once you make them). :)
Hi!
I sure will, once I actually make some! That might be a while, because there's a lot to it. Working with the lye I think, is something that sort of scares me a little, but I'm careful. I also will be trying to make it in my kitchen, but want to make sure it's warm enough to keep the windows open so I don't get lye fumes. But making soap looks like loads of good clean fun, and so interesting!

It's good to be careful, but don't let it stop you from the addiction joys of soaping! ;)

You can always mix the lye solution under the vent hood above your stove, or outside on the back porch (my preferred location, especially when it's cold because it helps the solution cool down faster). You can also chill the water that will be used, so that the fumes are reduced.

Very good ideas from @AliOop.
My number one advice is to work undisturbed. No pets underfoot. Do not answer phone. Do not go to door. Do not try to do anything but make soap. Give yourself time and have ingredients ready. Lye deserves much respect.
I work on second floor flat in kitchen
For mixing lye into water I use a number 5 plastic container found at local second hand store. It has a lid. It is sturdy and squat and difficult to tip or knock over easily
Here is how I mix lye solution
Undisturbed with kitchen fan on
Safety glasses on. Gloves on
Face mask - paper is good
Long sleeves. Long pants. Shoes on
I measure water into the container that will hold the lye solution
This container sits on my scale
Tare scale to zero
Measure water into container
Take container with water off scale
Put stainless measure cup on scale
Tare scale to zero
Uncap lye container
Spoon lye into measuring cup to measure
Cap lye container
Gently softly sprinkle measured lye into previously weighed water
Stir water lye mixture very softly
I use a long handle ice tea spoon. This takes only a minute or two. It’s necessary to stir so that lye is completely dissolved without a crust forming on the bottom of the container
After stirring lye mixture gently remove spoon to paper towel
Sit cap on top of container
While lye cools I find something to do
Read this forum. Sip coffee. Watch soap making videos.
Patience is rewarded when soaping
I use a stainless steel mix bowl to drop tools into so that counter top isn’t splashed with lye or soap mixture
I put newspaper down on counter to absorb possible drips.

Enjoy learning to make soap
Lye has a job to do. Respect its fearsome temperament, always always use protective gear and soon you will be a bit less afraid.

Very good ideas from @AliOop.
My number one advice is to work undisturbed. No pets underfoot. Do not answer phone. Do not go to door. Do not try to do anything but make soap. Give yourself time and have ingredients ready. Lye deserves much respect.
I work on second floor flat in kitchen
For mixing lye into water I use a number 5 plastic container found at local second hand store. It has a lid. It is sturdy and squat and difficult to tip or knock over easily
Here is how I mix lye solution
Undisturbed with kitchen fan on
Safety glasses on. Gloves on
Face mask - paper is good
Long sleeves. Long pants. Shoes on
I measure water into the container that will hold the lye solution
This container sits on my scale
Tare scale to zero
Measure water into container
Take container with water off scale
Put stainless measure cup on scale
Tare scale to zero
Uncap lye container
Spoon lye into measuring cup to measure
Cap lye container
Gently softly sprinkle measured lye into previously weighed water
Stir water lye mixture very softly
I use a long handle ice tea spoon. This takes only a minute or two. It’s necessary to stir so that lye is completely dissolved without a crust forming on the bottom of the container
After stirring lye mixture gently remove spoon to paper towel
Sit cap on top of container
While lye cools I find something to do
Read this forum. Sip coffee. Watch soap making videos.
Patience is rewarded when soaping
I use a stainless steel mix bowl to drop tools into so that counter top isn’t splashed with lye or soap mixture
I put newspaper down on counter to absorb possible drips.

Enjoy learning to make soap
Lye has a job to do. Respect its fearsome temperament, always always use protective gear and soon you will be a bit less afraid.
Thank you so much for this.

I am fortunate not to have distractions, and will be able to make soap without being disturbed. I'm still gathering necessary equipment, but I have several of the items you listed. I have a large, thick plastic bottle, safety glasses, gloves, long sleeved shirt and trousers, many face masks, the long handled steel ice tea spoon, and a stainless steel bowl that I can devote to soap. No scale yet, no lye yet, no oil yet, but these will be arriving in the next few months. There's no actual fan over my stove, just some rusty old thing which doesn't do much except make noise. and poof dust around. Open windows will have to do.

Concerning measuring cups: Is a plastic one ok, or will I need a steel one, and what about measuring spoons? Do all the things need to be steel as well? And do I need distilled water? The tap water in my city is beter than it is in a lot of places, but still might be considered contaminated as regards soapmaking.
I unquestionably respect the fearsome temperment of lye, but as you said, it has a job to do. As long as I work with it, not against it, things should go well. I'm patient by nature, and very careful.

I am fortunate not to have distractions, and will be able to make soap without being disturbed. I'm still gathering necessary equipment, but I have several of the items you listed. I have a large, thick plastic bottle, safety glasses, gloves, long sleeved shirt and trousers, many face masks, the long handled steel ice tea spoon, and a stainless steel bowl that I can devote to soap. No scale yet, no lye yet, no oil yet, but these will be arriving in the next few months. There's no actual fan over my stove, just some rusty old thing which doesn't do much except make noise. and poof dust around. Open windows will have to do.

Concerning measuring cups: Is a plastic one ok, or will I need a steel one, and what about measuring spoons? Do all the things need to be steel as well? And do I need distilled water? The tap water in my city is beter than it is in a lot of places, but still might be considered contaminated as regards soapmaking.
I unquestionably respect the fearsome temperment of lye, but as you said, it has a job to do. As long as I work with it, not against it, things should go well. I'm patient by nature, and very

I unquestionably respect the fearsome temperment of lye, but as you said, it has a job to do. As long as I work with it, not against it, things should go well. I'm patient by nature, and very careful.
for info on plastics here is article from a forum member @DeeAnna
https://classicbells.com/soap/lyeStorage.asp
Distilled water. Yes I recommend. Some people use other water however I’ve had poor experience with my tap water. Everyone will have varying water make up in their area.
Scales may be found in secondhand stores. Look for scale that weighs in grams or ounces and that has Tare function.
If you are ok making soap with tallow or lard these are excellent for soap making and can be used at 100%.
Make very small one lb/454 grams batches to start out. A paper coffee cup large size makes a good soap mold. Simply peel the cup wrapper away from the cured soap.

Welcome.gif

Latest posts

Back