Hi, I'm new :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peach

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Amber, I'm 29, and I'm from the coast of Maine, USA. I've just joined the forum this morning. I used to make soap quite a while ago (10 years-ish), but stopped for a while to pursue graphic and web design, which I've done up until now.

I feel like getting back into making body care/cosmetics- starting with bath bombs and (gulp) bubble bars. I think this winter I'll pursue Melt and Pour soap or cold process again. I have two little ones (Ages 4 and 6) so the thought of keeping lye in our apartment scares me a bit.

Anyway! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all, and sharing ideas, advice, and anything else for that matter :)

Welcome to the forum. M&P soap seems like a good idea if you have little ones living with you in a small space. I used to keep my lye bottles sealed in plastic bags on a high pantry shelf, because of young grandchildren who visited.

Hi Amber, welcome to the forum and back to soap making!

May I suggest several of these? http://www.chp.edu/injury-prevention/teachers-and-parents/poison-center/mr-yuk

You can even solidify the "yuckiness factor" with your children by having them stick several of the stickers on the bottle of lye themselves. When they get to "help", they take the lesson more seriously. BUT, do NOT let them know where you hide the bottles! (20+ years child care professional)

It's a good time of year to get back into soap making. Your skin will appreciate the extra TLC as the weather gets colder and dryer. By the way, Maine is one of my favorite places. Many happy memories there. :grin:

Hi. Maybe you should make sure you aren't being watched when you are handling your lye making on any step. My daughter is very curious and I still refuse to make soap around her. If she had noticed where I put my NaOH or KOH, she would have tried to make soap WITHOUT me. I keep those caustics out of her line of vision solely to keep her from asking me about them.

Other than that, welcome to the addiction.

Back