Hi, I'm new and have a color question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalemColorGal

Reaction score
I am in search of a color product (dye, mica, etc) that i can add to bath salts (or direct to bathwater) that will color the water but not the tub or the bather. All suggestions welcome. I thought about natural dyes in spices, etc, but (since I am also a textile dyer) I know how turmeric, cinnamon, paprika, etc. can color the skin.

Thanks in advance.

Spice dye may be irritating to skin.
I think most bath bombs use lake dye that are water soluble, and as long as you don't use too much it shouldn't dye your skin.

If you use mica, you also need to use polysorbate 80 to keep the mica from leaving a ring around the tub. As @Anstarx noted, lakes are often used because they don't cause that problem. Whatever you use, make sure it is skin-safe for bath bombs. All reputable soap-suppliers will state whether a specific colorant is safe for bath bombs.

As the other posters mentioned, take care when coloring bathwater products as they'll come into contact with mucous membranes and other sensitive bits. For that reason, many colorants that are ok for other uses aren't suitable for bath products.

Nurture Soap would be a good place to start, they have a Colors for Bath Bombs article that explains dyes, lakes, micas, etc. and their site is easy to navigate! Here is their Bath Bomb Colorants category also. :)

Latest posts

Back