Hi from Vancouver Island, BC, Canada!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsyFox

Reaction score
Hi all, just discovered this forum and am happy to see that it's active!

I'm a medical lab assistant and artist on the side living on beautiful Vancouver Island, and have also been making soap casually for a couple years. I'd still consider myself a beginner as I haven't experimented very much from my go-to recipe (coconut oil, palm oil, sunflower oil, and shea butter, plus EOs). Hoping to get inspiration and ideas from all of you lovely people so I can experiment more and create more exciting varieties!

I have sold a few bars here and there to friends, family, and co-workers, but nothing really significant. Right now it's just a hobby that nearly pays for itself. I work full-time so I don't have a ton of time to devote to it, though maybe one day I'll get good enough to sell at craft fairs and stuff, that would be fun.

Looking forward to browsing the forums!

Hi Sudsy! Welcome to the forum. I went to Vancouver Island once - my first husband had relatives in Nanaimo. Beautiful place! We drove down to Victoria ( in the snow, and on the right hand side - both novelties for us!) and stopped off at the little town with all the murals. I just loved it.
Looking forward to hearing about your soaping adventures.

We drove down to Victoria ( in the snow, and on the right hand side - both novelties for us!)
Snow is a novelty for Victoria! You must have been there during one of their extremely rare snowfalls!

Hi Sudsy! Welcome to the forum. I went to Vancouver Island once - my first husband had relatives in Nanaimo. Beautiful place! We drove down to Victoria ( in the snow, and on the right hand side - both novelties for us!) and stopped off at the little town with all the murals. I just loved it.
Looking forward to hearing about your soaping adventures.

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, it's a unique place we have here, for sure. Glad you were able to visit! We don't get a whole lot of snow actually (though it seems to be on the up and up in recent winters) so that's unusual.

Snow is a novelty for Victoria! You must have been there during one of their extremely rare snowfalls!

Ah, yes, it's not too frequent! I moved here from the mainland about two years ago and it seems even less common here than in Vancouver and surrounding areas. Though last winter and the one before we did get quite a bit. We're totally unprepared for it here so it really snarls up traffic. ;) I might actually have to get snow tires one of these years...

Hi all, just discovered this forum and am happy to see that it's active!

I'm a medical lab assistant and artist on the side living on beautiful Vancouver Island, and have also been making soap casually for a couple years. I'd still consider myself a beginner as I haven't experimented very much from my go-to recipe (coconut oil, palm oil, sunflower oil, and shea butter, plus EOs). Hoping to get inspiration and ideas from all of you lovely people so I can experiment more and create more exciting varieties!

I have sold a few bars here and there to friends, family, and co-workers, but nothing really significant. Right now it's just a hobby that nearly pays for itself. I work full-time so I don't have a ton of time to devote to it, though maybe one day I'll get good enough to sell at craft fairs and stuff, that would be fun.

Looking forward to browsing the forums!
Welcome Sudsy! My daughter lives on the island; she move to Nanaimo this past January.

It was 30 years ago - does that count? It seemed pretty heavy to me in Nanaimo - does that usually get more snow? But then coming from the north island on NZ which never gets snow ( except on the mountains) it may have seemed heavy when in fact it wasn't. :)

It was 30 years ago - does that count? It seemed pretty heavy to me in Nanaimo - does that usually get more snow? But then coming from the north island on NZ which never gets snow ( except on the mountains) it may have seemed heavy when in fact it wasn't. :)
Snow at the west coast (Vancouver area, southern Vancouver Island) is definitely wetter and heavier than it is further up in the mountains or inland. Here in Kelowna, which is in the interior of BC, the snow is much fluffier and easier to shovel (generally speaking). Even here, we don't get a lot of snow compared to the more eastern provinces or further north in BC.

Hi Sudsy! Welcome to the forum. I went to Vancouver Island once - my first husband had relatives in Nanaimo. Beautiful place! We drove down to Victoria ( in the snow, and on the right hand side - both novelties for us!) and stopped off at the little town with all the murals.

Chemainus ! We spent 3 weeks in Ladysmith this summer visiting my folks .

Welcome.gif

Back