Hi from South Dakota

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

amd

Hi! I'm Sherry. I found this forum when looking for a soap app on my phone. I've been lurking for awhile (before I realized I could go online and make a profile, etc. I'm a little slow these days) so I know there's a general dislike of people who post without introductions, so I'm hoping to avoid that.

About me: single mom to two kiddos, full-time engineer, part-time pastoral admin assistant, part-time newspaper columnist (I have two columns that run once a week), and part-time soaper. I have been trying to get started selling my soaps, but it's slow going. I'm okay with that, I still consider it a hobby and if I sell enough to pay for the hobby that would be super. If I don't... well, at least I have soap!

About my soaping experience: I avoided CP soapmaking for two years after I saw my first instructional video (random pinterest/youtube find) because I did not want to deal with lye. A year ago I bit the bullet and made my first batch. Turns out lye is not as scary as it sounds - who knew? I've spent the last year tinkering with a basic bar recipe and different soaping methods (mostly finding my personal sweet spot for temps - I've found that I soap with better results when I allow the lye water to melt the hard oils and pay no attention whatsoever to temps). I've been slowly branching out to additives, colors, and (gulp!) swirling, but still learning. You can follow my soapy adventures at A Misty Dimness Soap on FaceBook. I'm not to steal anyone's recipes, I'm just here to troubleshoot and get ideas on what/how to do things better!

If you made it through all this - thanks for reading!
~Sherry

Thanks for the welcome, not_ally! My first column is about life in a small town (population: 100 on holidays) as a single mom - so my adventures in dating, my kids, my cats, and homeownership are all open topics. The second column I write is a cooking column. I am a walking disaster in the kitchen. YOu can't tell it from the end results, but every recipe has its challenges especially when my "squirrel ADD brain" gets involved. Both of my columns tend to be on humorous side of life and I completely make fun at my own expense.

It sounds like I would enjoy reading those columns!

Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing the soaping is similar to the cooking where its starts out "crazy" and ends up looking great?

I want to read your columns! Can you post a link?

I wish I could, but sadly it's a small county publication (approx. 1500 subscribers) so the only online reading is by subscription only :( When I do the next column, I post it up on the misc. personal (or whatever it's called, lol) board. Thanks for your interest!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back