Hi from So.Cal!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaimeM

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm Jaime from the Disney area of California! I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of months, and I finally realized it was time to jump in and join the conversation. I've only made about 20 batches of CP soap (so far!) but it's been such a fun learning experience that I am eager to learn as much as I can!

I think the thing I love the most about soap making is how much it's like cooking. I studied to be a pastry chef, and I am thrilled at how nicely those skills transfer to my new passion! And the best part? It's a zero-calorie treat!!! :D

This is my first batch of cupcake soaps! My daughter and her friends are so excited for them to finish curing...

Vanilla+713.jpg

I also am a crochet designer, so when my pumpkin soap didn't turn out as pumpkin-y looking as I had hoped, I covered it with crochet wool! It will felt as I use the bar...

Pumpkin+Soap+02.jpg

I am so excited to learn and grow as a soap artist. I am so inspired by the beautiful work that I've seen on this forum!

xo Jaime

Hi la-rene and Skatergirl46!! It's so awesome to know there are other soapers in the area!
I have had the worst time trying to find local groups and somewhere to take classes.

Sent from my phone using the mobile app, which means it's probably misspelled and I am lost...

Hi Jaime,

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Thanks for sharing the lovely pics. I admire anyone who has the patience to use decorating tips on soap and you crochet, too! I'm terrible at both. :lol:

Hi Hazel! Thanks so much! Crocheting at this point is so much easier than getting reliable colors in my soaps. :( LOL!!!

Sent from my phone using the mobile app, which means it's probably misspelled and I am lost...

My grandmother tried so hard to teach me crocheting but I never could get the tension right. What colorants are you using?

BTW, I didn't see anything misspelled.

I've been using oxide pigments blended in olive oil. Either I get them blended and they just look flat and boring, or I don't get them blended well enough and I get pockets of pigment (which is very exciting, but in a very bad way. LOL!!). My husband ended up with a blue thumb because I didn't blend well enough. Hilarious and horrifying.
I'm thinking that pre-mixed colorants is probably a better option until I get better soaping skills.

Honestly, I think I'm just adding too much pigment... it's so easy to get carried away with it.

Jaime I envy your pastry skills! Those cupcake soaps look ssooooo real. Welcome!

It does sound like too much colorant. I agree it's easy to add too much. I have more problem with adding too much pre-mixed as compared to powder but I mainly use micas. I use a small amount of oil removed from the mixed oils (before I add the lye) and add the colorant to it. Then I use a frother to blend the powder so it's thoroughly mixed into the oil. After I've added the lye to the main oils, I make sure it's at least emulsified or at light trace then pour some of it into the container with the colorant. I use a stickblender in short bursts to mix the colored oil in with the soap. This works well for me but other people do it differently. I like using 8 oz or 16 oz plastic Ball freezer jars since they're made of polypropylene (PP#5), are inexpensive and the stickblender's bell fits down far enough that I don't have to worry about splashing.

Freezer jars!! Brilliant! And I desperately need to get a frother if I'm going to keep using the powders.
I had mixed up a triple batch of my colors using my magic bullet, but I get squeeze-bottle happy when I get going and I don't weigh or measure the colorants (despite being completely anal retentive about weighing everything else). I think you've solved my problem. Thank you!

You're welcome! However, you can also buy the paint cups which are sold at DIY stores. I think it was agriffin that mentioned this tip.

A long time ago, I bought two frothers off of Amazon because I found them at a great price. They are Ikea frothers and not the best quality but I've been really happy with them. I didn't even think the shipping and handling amount was bad, either. Of course, you might find them for less than $6 (price plus S&H) if you go to an Ikea store.

Any reason to make an IKEA trip is good with me!! I had seen $25 frothers at Bed Bath & Beyond which looked very, um, prone to breaking and really out of my soap budget for something that isn't going to last more than two uses. LOL!! But I am so on board with a six buck frother! Ooh, and some Swedish meatballs...
:D

So I finally got to IKEA and picked up 2 milk frothers ($2.49 each! Awesome!). They have revolutionized my coloring! (Well, that and your suggestion to use larger mixing cups). I can't believe how much easier it is now. No clumps, no weird spots, no more overly pigmented soap! The soap batter mixes with the colors so much more quickly and evenly, I now have time to swirl and drop and pour (as opposed to my previous slop and clump!). It's like a soaping miracle. It's amazing how a little bit of knowledge can totally rock my world.
My soaping is a technicolor dream now!
Thank you Hazel!

That's great! I'm jealous because there isn't an Ikea near me. :(

You're welcome but I was just passing on tips from other soapers. BTW, did you see the "Help with colorants" thread? kazmi posted a great video she found on youtube about coloring CP. If you haven't seen it, you might want to watch it because it is informative. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=37821

Latest posts

Back