Hi From Georgia

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baylee

Reaction score
Hey Y'all!! My name is Tammy and I'm from Martinez, GA (close to Augusta, GA where the Golf Masters are held annually). I grew up in Ohio and moved here about 16 years ago.

I started soap making a few years ago. My skin was breaking out (which came to find out was a staph infection and took a couple years to heal completely). From that skin issue, I started reading about handmade soap and how good it was for the skin. I decided this was for me, but like many others, I was scared to death to handle lye. So, I went and bought a few pounds of melt & pour, coloring and a few molds. That was fun, but after about 2 batches or so, I was bored; just not challenging enough.
I read on the internet about a method of RTCP (I believe that's the name), pouring at room temp. I researched some more, had the information I needed, got all equipment/supplies and made my first batch... HOOKED!!
I remember at the time, sugar scrub made with melt & pour soap was a big thing, but I had no desire to do that, nor did I want to make sugar scrub with handmade soap. So (and I kick myself for losing my recipe), I made a sugar scrub with stearic acid , soft oils, white sugar etc. and poured the mixture in an ice cube tray to make a solid cube that slowly melted in the shower. From there, I made solid & liquid perfumes, lip balms, bath bombs (hated doing those), liquid soap, cream soap and lots of bar soap. My deepest desire was to start a small business. My husband was scared to death about me starting a soap business because of the litigation issues and how people love to find a reason to sue someone (of course, I would purchase insurance, that was a given). Feeling a little defeated, I stopped making soap and taught myself how to crochet. I love to crochet and being the 'if you're gonna do it, do it all' person, I made one wash cloth, and went right into making a blanket.
Fast forward after a dozen or so of blankets to about a month ago.. my husband decides he wants to switch from an electric razor to brush/solid soap to shave. Hmmm, the soap bug bit me hard, I started researching and came up with a recipe for a shave soap using soy wax instead of stearic acid. He loved it, said it didn't pull in the areas it normally does. My son loves it. I just sent some to my friend in Ohio to have her husband test. The lather is dense, rich and creamy.
With alot of planning, researching, talking to a lawyer, I will start my business... soap and crochet... it will be done :)
Sorry for the huge post; I thought some background was appropriate.

Hello and welcome to the forum! I enjoyed reading your post, I started out making bath bombs for myself and now have a business selling bath and body products and soy candles. Sounds like you have a good plan! :)

Hi Tammy & welcome! :wave: I have friends and family in Marietta & Macon so have had the pleasure of visiting your area many times! I'm jealous about being near the Masters though.....

Last edited:
Thanks everyone... believe it or not, I've never been to The Masters; my interest in golf is about as interesting as watching grass grow.. lol

Last edited:
Welcome, nice to meet you!
icon_wave.gif

Back