Quantcast

Hi From England

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Esque

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum and discovered it while looking for some information. I've made quite a bit of soap by the M&P method and was looking to have a go at a more traditional lye style method. One snag (& where all traditionality goes out the window :lol: ) is that my fiance is vegetarian and as she likes testing my creations out, I was wondering if anyone knew of a vege friendly alternative to meat based tallow. I have seen mention on the net of a vegetable based tallow, but I have as yet not been able to find a supplier nor am I even sure that it would work in soap making due to the chemical processes involved.

Any help would be very much appreciated :D

Chay

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
You can replace your tallow with palm oil, just make sure you run it through a soap calc first. There are so many oils to choose from you can experiment to your hearts content and never have to use an animal product.

retropants

Reaction score
Hi there Esque from a fellow English (wo)man!

I am veggie and I make soap that turns out lovely without any animal ingredients. I use coconut and palm and I have recently ordered PKO, so looking forward to using that too.

Best of British Luck!!

G

Welcome! Yes - you can replace tallow with palm oil - and if you don't like that you can experiment with other hard oils and butters like Cocoa butter.

Soapmaker Man

Reaction score
Hi and a big welcome to the forum Esque! :D Another guy who makes soap, cool! We have a lot of guys here making soap.
Yup, as far as "veggie tallow" the above posters are spot on about palm oil. I like my lard/tallow combo in my personal soaps, but make veggie recipes too. Have fun experimenting! Experimenting with various oils, the synergy they produce together is a factor I love about soaping! 8)

Paul :wink:

Esque

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome folks :D I must admit, I was hoping not to use Palm oil as it has an environmental cost all of it's own. I'm just in the process of moving so may not be around for a little while, but as soon as I'm back I'll be getting to grips with soapcalc for sure, although on forst glance it looks somewhat daunting :shock: :lol:

What kind of properties are you looking for when considering a replacement for tallow?? I have a huge amount to learn about real soap making and that would seem to be a good start, at least that way I know what to look for.

retropants

Reaction score
Hi there Esque, with regard to the palm oil, if you order the organic palm oil from the soapkitchenonline, it is from a sustainable source, and not from indonesia, where the orangutangs and other endangered species can be made homeless.
Emma.

Esque

Reaction score
retropants said:
Hi there Esque, with regard to the palm oil, if you order the organic palm oil from the soapkitchenonline, it is from a sustainable source, and not from indonesia, where the orangutangs and other endangered species can be made homeless.
Emma.
Fantastic, thanks for the link :D

Latest posts