Hi, From Austin, TX

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smauf

Reaction score
Hello, I just made my very first batch of soap last week, and it will be ready to use in 3-4 weeks. I am a homebrewer, and at the end of the brew day I have so much spent grain leftover I was looking for ways to use it instead of throwing it away. I came across an article where a homebrewer used the grains as an exfoliate in hand made soap. I figured I've never made soap before, so I'll give it a try. So far I like it! I bought a book called Soap Crafting by Anne-Marie Faiola, and I'm still reading it. Does anyone have any suggestions for good books for beginners?

Hi Smauf and welcome.
Those books are good suggestions. If you are interested in videos Anne Marie Faiola also has a very informative blog and free videos on learning to make soap, use fragrances, colorants, etc. etc. Soaping 101 on YouTube also has some great videos. Have great fun!
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Thank you for the recommendations. I will be sure to pick up those books and check out the YouTube videos. I'm glad I found an online community for soap making!

I like the soaping 101 videos on youtube. I'm very visual so they helped me SO much more than all of my reading prior to the videos. And so much more than so many videos I came across first that actually ended up confusing me and making me think things were so much harder than they are. When you understand the basics everything else makes sense, its no longer doing all these things just because you were told you have to do it... When you understand WHY you're doing them, then you know whats really important or relevant to your specific batch of soap. Anyway, I recommend starting at the beginning with the oldest soaping 101 videos first. After going through those it gave me a basis that I understood everything I'd read much better and what I read next much better.

Personally I don't like the soap queen videos.... Personal thing, but I find her irritating to watch/listen to. Its a combination of her voice and speech pattern.

Oh, btw, I lived in Austin for a little while. GREAT city, I really loved it down there. I lived off S Lamar

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back