Hi from Alexandria, Virginia

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapandwine

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am definitely a newbie to the soap making world. In fact, I haven't even made a bar yet, but I want to ASAP! (more on this later). I want to say thanks to all for such a cool and informative forum.

How did I get bitten by the soap bug? A few months ago I moved in with my mom to help her in her cancer treatment and chemo. Because of type of chemo she's getting, she needs to use natural soaps or those without fragance and extra chemicals. I went and bought some, not that easy at walmart it turned out. Anyhow, I thought to myself, maybe I can make some, and the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. I read tons of online blogs and posts about oils, colors, fragrances, molds, etc. I shared the idea with my mom and SHE LOVED IT. She wants to help, of course, and that's good, as it gives her something to do now that she's not working.

I bounce recipe ideas off her, and she comes back with other interesting ones. I finally budgeted a small project for, say, 100-140 bars. I've got spreadsheets for everything! (I'm such a geek).

Last night I put together a few molds (see picture) and this morning I bought a couple of colors and I think I've got 7-8 recipes of what we want to make. The problem is... I have no lye! I asked a couple of members that live around the NoVA/DC area for suggestions on where to purchase. I really want to start in the next couple of days, so if you know where I can purchase, let me know.... pleeease!

Anyhow, that's my intro. I'm sure I'll be asking for help very soon.

Adrian.-

molds.jpg

Putting my molds together
mold_yellow.jpg

This morning, at a used stuff store, I bought this "mold" for $2. I thought it was a steal! I guess it's a flower pot for a window sill or something, but for $2..... I don't know about the color so I might have to sand it down.

Hello! Welcome to the greatest place to get all the info you'll ever need about soapmaking, and all the support as well!

I love that you'll be making these for your mom!!! That touches my heart. <3

I had a hard time finding pure Lye in Maryland-- I buy mine online from The Essential Depot. Here's a link to what I get:
http://www.essentialdepot.com/servlet/t ... ade/Detail
It ships quickly- the service is great, too.

I've heard that some hardware stores carry drain cleaners that are 100% NaOH, but I prefer the food grade sort, because it is free of heavy metal impurities.
If you're looking for oils, I recently discovered Soaper's Choice on line- nice pricing- and, many of us on this forum order from Wholesale Supplies Plus (they recently started offering Free Shipping- but the prices went up to cover it). I still find their pricing to be alright, though. It depends how much you'll be ordering. If you pick up from their facility, you save 25%. It's right off the Ohio Turnpike- I go to Michigan quite often, so it's easy to make a stop at WSP for supplies.

I'm sure lots of others will give you their suggestions as well! You can always use the Search button and look through previous postings, too.

Good Luck!!! Be sure to share your first batch with us!
:)

don't worry about the color of your mold - you need to line it anyway (I recommend freezer paper, some use garbage bags or other materials.

Welcom to the forum Adrian and best wishes to you mom. Love your molds! Would hardly consider 100-140 bars a small project; my small projects consists of 2 lb batches :lol:

See your in VA....do you have an ACE hardware locally? That is where I purchase my lye. It comes in 1 lb plastic jars under the name of Roto. The store in my area has it setting on the shelf in the plumbing dept but I guess some Ace stores have it under lock and key and you have to ask for it but you may want to check that out.

Welcome to you second home :D good to see another Virginian. Im in Roanoke (bout 3-4 hrs south of ya) i know i can get my lye at Lowes in the plumbing section, cant think of the name right off but i know its a yellow and red bottle/ canister

Thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Around where I live, I was not able to find lye, but thanks to some of your suggestions and a PM from Deda, I found out I can get it at Ace Hardware by the name Rooto. The Ace in Alexandria didn't have any, but they promised to have some for next week (how's that for good service?). So I'll be having a permanent supply there. I went to the Ace in Springfield last night and voilá! Oh... I'm so excited.

The power went out so couldn't do much last night. Plus, I forgot I didn't have a scale. It's somewhere in a rented storage space, so I'm out to get one right now and I shall be baking my first log later today. I shall post after I do.

thanks again for all your suggestions.

Adrian.

PS: for future searches, I was NOT able to find lye at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, or any other store in NoVA except at Ace Hardware.

My First Batch

I just finished preparing my first log and I think I went past trace in the making. I had promised myself I was going to be on the "light trace" side, but still I went too far.

anyone knows what happens if I went too far with the blender?

Oh...yeah... I added cocoa powder... yikes! I think I overdid it when I added the essential oils. Oh well... I hope for the best and we'll see tomorrow.

Adrian.-

Here's a pic of when I finished:
first_soap.jpg

[/img]

I get my Lye at Ace too. So happy not to have to order anymore. Found mine at the Tenleytown Metro Stop Ace Store... On my way home from work so it's great..

Haha, I have some family that lives in Alexandria. I use to go out there every summer to go and visit them when I was young.

Anyway, it is very sweet you are making soap with and for your mother. It is very touching.

I actually had to read through every post to see if you had found lye. I get mine at Ace as well. =D

Back