Hi everyone

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbocrafter

Reaction score
Thanks for allowing me to join your forum. I have been a member for several years and I got in spurts where I make soap and then I don't do it for a while which leads me to forget the information I had before.

I am married to the best husband a woman could ask for. We've been married for 45 years. We have 3 adult children and 11 grandchildren. Life is never boring.

I have ADD so I'm all over the place. I like to knit, quilt, spin wool, and make soap, not necessarily in that order.

We are currently in the process of putting a cabin on 13 1/2 acres of land we own that overlooks Raystown Lake in PA. The lake is about 7 miles long. It will be a get away for us for the weekends.

I work for Penn State University in the Finance office at one of their commonwealth campuses. Penn State has 24 smaller campuses all over the commonwealth of PA. Many students will do 2 years at our campus and then transfer to University Park to complete their degree.

I am anxiously awaiting retirement. I will be 63 this year and would love to retire but I carry the health insurance for me and my husband. My husband is an insulin dependent Type II diabetic. In March he was having chest pains, went to the doctor who immediately referred him to a cardiologist. He failed the stress test so they set him up for a cardiac catheterization. They put 2 stents in his heart. They said the main artery of the heart (they call it the Widow maker) was 90% blocked. The reason they call this artery the widow maker is because once that artery is fully blocked and you have a heart attack you literally just drop over dead. There is no time to get them to the hospital and nothing you can do for them. With that in mind his drugs cost approximately $500 every 3 months. He is on a blood thinner that costs $268. Wowser!!

I am a CPA by trade. I have a small tax business in my home. I have been trying to retire from that for several years now and just can't get out of it.

I have 4 dogs: 2 beagles, a Cockalier (a boutique dog that is part Cocker Spaniel and part Cavalier King Charles spaniel) and also a Cavalier King Charles spaniel. I love those dogs like my kids. Molly, the Cockalier came from a commercial breeder and was not socialized at all. We've had her about 1 1/2 years now. She is super around me but very freakish around anyone else. My favorite is Scout who is a miniature beagle. I love that little guy so much and he is usually where I am. Addy, the Cavalier King Charles is a sweetheart too. We got her from a commercial breeder. They gave her to me at no charge which is unusual. I know now why they did that. She does not like to go outside to go potty and just this morning I went to our bedroom and she had urinated on our bed. This is not the first time. Fortunately we have a mattress cover that protects the bed. She only does it once in a while. I have had about 5 dogs now and have never had one jump on my bed and urinate. If anyone has a solution I am all ears. As you should see I am quite the animal lover. We also have 3 cats: one is a domestic short hair and the other 2 are Ragdolls. Boy do they shed.

That's about all there is about me. I love to travel and do all of the activities listed above. I would like to get back into soap making so this forum will make my journey much easier.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! I'm sure you will get many welcomes here as there are a lot of great people. Best wishes for your day and happy soaping

Your family sounds so interesting, not only the dogs, who sound quite wonderful. Your cabin overlooking the lake sounds like it will be a lovely getaway! Is that where you will retire to when you retire?

Hi there, wbocrafter! :wave: Glad to have you back on the forum! We LOVE pictures and I know there are several others that also knit, crochet, weave so would really enjoy pics of those projects too. :)

Welcome :) it's always awesome to hear about others pet collection :) makes me feel more normal!

Response to living at the lake

Thanks everyone for all the welcomes. I'm so glad to be a part of this group because I know there are a lot of professional soap makers as well as those who do it on a frequent basis for a hobby and I'm sure you will all have lots of help if I need it.

As far as the cabin is concerned we are unable to live there year round because our cabin is considered recreational so we can't retire there. There are many stipulations to a recreational cabin in PA. It is absolutely beautiful up there in the fall when the leaves are changing color. The leaves reflect off the water & it is a stunning picture. That will be my favorite time of the year to spend up there. I have not seen it but I've been told that it is beautiful up there in the spring.

As far as which of my hobbies is my favorite I have to say that quilting is my favorite. I love to create homemade items and give them away as gifts. However, right now I'm knitting socks. I have a few projects that I also want to knit. I use to spin a lot but haven't spun for a few years.

View of lake from cabin

Thought you would like to see the view of Raystown Lake we will have from our cabin. So anxious to get things done. View from cabin location.jpg

The cabin is almost finished. We now have electric, septic & a well. All utilities are connected except for the well. I'm hoping the well got connected this past week. We have gone up to the cabin every weekend since we got it. It is so peaceful up there. Can't wait to spend the night & do some cooking. I have a quilt I'm working on that I hope to get the top done this weekend while we're up there. I'll post a picture when it's finished. I don't mean to brag but it is beautiful. If there are any quilters on here it's a bargello quilt. I just love those quilts. Have a great weekend everyone.

Wow that's great. Must be an amazing feeling knowing everything is almost done. Your view looks lovely. I live by the beach and find nothing beats sitting out in the sun looking at water :)

The cabin is almost finished. We now have electric, septic & a well. All utilities are connected except for the well. I'm hoping the well got connected this past week. We have gone up to the cabin every weekend since we got it. It is so peaceful up there. Can't wait to spend the night & do some cooking. I have a quilt I'm working on that I hope to get the top done this weekend while we're up there. I'll post a picture when it's finished. I don't mean to brag but it is beautiful. If there are any quilters on here it's a bargello quilt. I just love those quilts. Have a great weekend everyone.

I am looking forward to seeing your finished quilt! No worries about bragging. Quilters have inherent bragging rights IMO.

Back